WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF HIGH RPM BUT NOT GAINING SPEED?

• MattSpav14
  • 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I drive a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I am having trouble picking up speed. It is an automatic, and after reaching 15mph or so the RPM go way up but the car picks up speed slowly. It is difficult to get my car to even 30mph without going over 4000rpm.

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 4:02 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

Check to make sure the trans fluid is clean and full. If it is, you may need a rebuild. It sounds like the clutches are slipping.

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 4:04 AM
  • MattSpav14

I just flushed the transmission fluid and got new fluid, the problem is still occuring though. Any idea how much a rebuild could cost me?

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 4:07 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Aprox 2K

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 4:12 AM
  • MattSpav14

Could it possibly be a problem with the speed sensors? I am having no trouble with switching from reverse and drive. And I know someone who had a similar problem where a transmission rebuild didnt work.

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 4:14 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

It sounds like the transmission is slipping. I doubt the sensor has anything to do with it

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 4:23 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

SOMETIMES MIRACLES DON'T HAPPEN

THIS WAS MY ATTEMPT TO GRASP FOR STRAWS W/WIFE'S FORD ESCAPE

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2003-ford-escape-03-2wd-30-v-6-evil-female-and-automatic-transmission

YOU REALLY NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE LOOK AT IT 1ST HAND (NOT NECESSARILY THE BIG GUYS)---IT STILL MAY NOT BE ALL THAT BAD---I ALWAYS PREPARE FOR THE WORST---IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER!

Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 4:32 AM
  • muldoon

I had same thing on my 2002 and replaced 2 sensors( easy to do) in transmission. Drop pan and you will see them both one is a speed and the other is a shifting sensor held on by a torqe screw and bracket, I paid $ 135 mechanic prices for both good luck Declan. Ps no engine light came on the dash.

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 10:57 PM