WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF HIGH RPM BUT NOT GAINING SPEED?

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

MattSpav14

March, 30, 2012 AT 4:02 AM

I drive a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I am having trouble picking up speed. It is an automatic, and after reaching 15mph or so the RPM go way up but the car picks up speed slowly. It is difficult to get my car to even 30mph without going over 4000rpm.

Jacobandnickolas

March, 30, 2012 AT 4:04 AM

Check to make sure the trans fluid is clean and full. If it is, you may need a rebuild. It sounds like the clutches are slipping.

MattSpav14

March, 30, 2012 AT 4:07 AM

I just flushed the transmission fluid and got new fluid, the problem is still occuring though. Any idea how much a rebuild could cost me?

Jacobandnickolas

March, 30, 2012 AT 4:12 AM

Aprox 2K

MattSpav14

March, 30, 2012 AT 4:14 AM

Could it possibly be a problem with the speed sensors? I am having no trouble with switching from reverse and drive. And I know someone who had a similar problem where a transmission rebuild didnt work.

Jacobandnickolas

March, 30, 2012 AT 4:23 AM

It sounds like the transmission is slipping. I doubt the sensor has anything to do with it

March, 30, 2012 AT 4:32 AM

SOMETIMES MIRACLES DON'T HAPPEN

THIS WAS MY ATTEMPT TO GRASP FOR STRAWS W/WIFE'S FORD ESCAPE

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2003-ford-escape-03-2wd-30-v-6-evil-female-and-automatic-transmission

YOU REALLY NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE LOOK AT IT 1ST HAND (NOT NECESSARILY THE BIG GUYS)---IT STILL MAY NOT BE ALL THAT BAD---I ALWAYS PREPARE FOR THE WORST---IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER!

muldoon

April, 23, 2012 AT 10:57 PM

I had same thing on my 2002 and replaced 2 sensors( easy to do) in transmission. Drop pan and you will see them both one is a speed and the other is a shifting sensor held on by a torqe screw and bracket, I paid $ 135 mechanic prices for both good luck Declan. Ps no engine light came on the dash.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars