HOW TO CHANGE THE TRANSMISSION OIL FILTER

• sergio53
  • 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe
  • automatic

I have a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. How do I change the Transmission oil filter? I do not have a spin on filter.

Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 2:53 AM

• caradiodoc

Then you have to drop the pan to access the filter. When you look at a new filter, you will see that it sits inside the pan, and it will likely come with a new pan gasket.

Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 3:41 AM
  • sergio53

I took a picture of the transmission pan. There is no filter only the control solenoids here is a picture of it. Can you help me I have change other transmission filters they are like you said, but not on this car.

Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 9:30 PM
  • caradiodoc

I do not even see where the fluid pickup is located. I looked the filter up on rockauto. Com, and they list four different filters. Only one of them is a spin-on filter. The other three are internal and are all very different.

I am going to try to get another expert involved who should be able to help solve the mystery for you.

Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 AT 9:50 PM
  • saturntech9

Please read the bulletin below and what I posted let me know what the production date of your Santa Fe is and we will go from there.

OIL FILTER REPLACEMENT
2001 Hyundai Truck Santa Fe V6-2.7L DOHC MFI
Fluid Filter - A/T: Technical Service Bulletins A/T - External Filter Deletion
Group: TRANSAXLE Number: 01-40-007
Date: APRIL, 2001
Model: 2001 ELANTRA, SONATA, SANTA FE & XG300
Subject: 2001 ELANTRA, SONATA, SANTA FE AND XG300 AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE EXTERNAL OIL FILTER DELETED

DESCRIPTION: Hyundai has deleted the external oil filter (P/N 46322-39000) on all Elantra, Sonata, Santa Fe and XG300 transaxies effective with the production dates listed below. These transaxies are equipped with an internal oil filter that needs to be changed only during transaxle overhaul.

Thursday, April 14th, 2011 AT 3:52 PM