OVERHEATING

2002 Honda CRV

2002crv

July, 17, 2011 AT 3:18 AM

I have a 2002 Honda CRV that is overheating. I recently had the engine swapped and the mechanic that did the replacement did not do a good job. When I picked up the car from the mechanic I noticed that the CRV engine took a long time to warm up. I had a feeling that the thermostat was bad so I replaced it this morning. As I took out the old thermostat I noticed that the spring assembly was not on the old thermostat. So I replaced it with a new Honda thermostat. Now after seven minutes of running the engine the car over heats. I also noticed that the water in the radiator is not hot. Not even warm. Also I know that I have to replace the OUTLET WATER assembly. This assembly is bleeding air when the engine is on. Could this be the cause of the overheating?

Thank you.

mhpautos

July, 17, 2011 AT 3:36 AM

Test the new thermostat just to see that it is working, new also fail! Ensure that all air is bled from system, you may just have an air lock under the thermostat, does the new thermostat have a bleed valve?

2002crv

July, 17, 2011 AT 4:44 PM

Thank you you for a quick response. I will remove the thermostat. Please advise me as to the best way to test the Thermostat? I don't believe there is a bleed valve under the thermostat. I do appreciate you response and look forward to your help. Thank you.

mhpautos

July, 17, 2011 AT 11:34 PM

Tie a piece of string to the thermostat and place in a pot on the stove at the water start to heat up before boiling the thermostat should open up, if faulty fit a new thermostat and look for a brand that has a bleed hole this will help remove any air trapped behind the thermostat.

2002crv

July, 20, 2011 AT 2:17 AM

Wanted to say thank you. You were correct. There was air in the radiator. I had to fill the radiator three more times and now the CRV is working normally. Thank you

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage