IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH THE ELECTRICAL OR MY BATTERY?

2002 Honda Civic

jsmith6085

January, 12, 2012 AT 5:16 AM

My radio on my 2002 Honda Civic shut off and came back on by itself about three times. Also, my lights and gauges shut off and my gas gauge showed as empty when I had a full tank. Is there a problem with the electrical or my battery? This is my daughter's car and she is away at college so I don't know if it is okay for her to drive it that way. Thanks!

Not Charging Battery

Battery Will Not Charge

January, 12, 2012 AT 5:35 AM

THE 1ST THING I WOULD DO IS TAKE IT TO A POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORE AND HAVE THE BATTERY AND CHARGING SYSTEM TESTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT....THEY WILL USUALLY DO THIS FOR FREE!

THEY MAY FIND YOU HAVE A BAD BATTERY OR THE ALTERNATOR IS NOT CHARGING IT BACK UP......FOR SOME REASON (BAD ALTERNATOR, BLOWN FUSES, BLOWN FUSIBLE LINK, LOOSE WIRE, ETC). I SAW THE FUSIBLE LINK THING, DAYS AGO, WHERE MY WIFE WORKS. TWO EMPLOYEES SORTA DID NOT HOOK "+" TO "+" AND "-" TO "-" WHEN THEY "ATTEMPTED" A JUMP-START....KINDA KILLED EVERYTHING

IF YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON---THE AUTO STORE MAY ALSO BE ABLE TO READ THE TROUBLE CODES...THEY MAY ALSO OFFER SUGGESTIONS TO FIX YOUR PROBLEM---NEVER THE LESS--WRITE DOWN THE EXACT CODE NUMBERS AND POST THEM HERE (SOME CAN BE INTERPRETED IN DIFFERENT WAYS)

MY 2 CENTS, AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST MIGHT HELP TOO

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1993-gmc-s15-93-jimmy-running-good-before-jumpstarted-useing-boost-start-on-charg

I'M HOPING IT'S A BATTERY PROBLEM AND YOU BATTERY IS LESSER EXPENSIVE THAN MY WIFE'S NEW BATTERY

KEEP US POSTED

I would suspect a faulty ignition switch. Symptoms indicates interruption of power source and it is not adviseable to continue driving as the engine can stall anytime.

There was safety recall on this components and even if you have rreplaced the part, replacement can fail as well.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Alternator testing done right