SLIPPING OUT OF THIRD GEAR

2002 Honda Civic

fabianp83

June, 1, 2013 AT 4:28 PM

I recently purchased a 2002 Honda Civic 1.7L 5spd standard and when I shift to third gear and let out the clutch and push the gas the car pops out of third gear followed with a grinding noise, also there is a loud noise when the car is in reverse while reversing, I know it is usual for the car to have a little whining noise while reversing but it sounds rougher and louder than normal and it is hard to shift in reverse, what is the problem is it in the gearbox or transmission, what will need to be done to fix this problem?

sinbad271

June, 1, 2013 AT 7:37 PM

It seems you have some bad synchronizers inside of your transmission. Only way to figure out is to tear trans apart and see internal damage and replace parts may need some gears and possible internal shift fork.

fabianp83

June, 2, 2013 AT 3:24 PM

I priced a used gearbox for my car and it is $800.00, Is the problem in the transmission or gearbox or is the gearbox considered to be the transmission on manual shift cars.

sinbad271

June, 2, 2013 AT 4:18 PM

Yes some do call it a gear box. It would be cheaper to get a repair manual and follow the step by step process and rebuild your trans its pretty simple you might want to look into it.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage