NEED TO INSTALL FRONT STRUTS BUT HAVE NEVER DONE...

2002 Ford Mustang

Anonymous

Need to install front struts but have never done it befoer. Can you give me instructions? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron

caradiodoc

As I recall you do not have the coil spring around the strut so your job just got a whole lot easier. If you have the new ones in your hand, you'll see there's two bolt holes on the bottom and a threaded shaft on top. That's all you have to remove.

Raise the car off the ground and support it solidly with jack stands under the frame, not under the control arms. Remove the wheel, then look for those two bolts behind the brake rotor. This is the same design used by Chrysler and some GMs, but Ford messed it up by turning the mounts on a lot of their models. You may have to go through the extra nonsense of removing the brake rotors and calipers to get those bolts out. Wiggle, tap, or pry to get the control arm to go down and pull the spindle out of the strut's lower bracket.

The upper shaft nut can be a challenge if you're removing it with hand tools. The easiest way to zip them off and back on is with an air-powered impact wrench. Repeated quick short bursts will walk the nut off and on.

Safely Replace Your Rear Struts
Replacing Your Front Struts Like a Pro
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado