2.0 LOW COMPRESSION

2002 Ford Focus

blueeyespdc

April, 20, 2011 AT 6:53 PM

I have a 2002 Ford Focus 2.0. I had ti tested and they said it has low compression on #2 and #4 cylinder. Is this a sign that the engine is gone? Someone told me that it might possibly be the head gasket. THey tried to build compression back up but said they could feel air coming out back of heads? Please help

Wrenchtech

April, 20, 2011 AT 7:46 PM

It could be any of those things but they would have given you some warning. I would check the timing belt first.

blueeyespdc

April, 20, 2011 AT 9:03 PM

We bought the car and it happened all the sudden. We did a tune up and it did not fix the problem. The check engine light is on and refers to the 2/4 cylinders. Is the timing on this vehicle automatic or could it jump timing or would the belt just break?

Wrenchtech

April, 20, 2011 AT 10:16 PM

The ignition timing is automatic. The valve timing is done through the timing belt and they can jump timing suddenly and needs to be checked. If this is the DOHC, it requires special to set the timing correctly so don't try this on your own.

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Replacing Head Gasket
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata