HUB BEARING ASSEMBLY

• kcin520k
  • 2002 Ford Explorer
  • automatic

How do I know wich side to replace hub bearing assembly on 2002 ford explorer sport 4x4? Front

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 2:10 AM

• PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

What is the problem, how do you know that you have a wheel bearing bad? What I do to isolate which bearing is bad is to put the vehicle up on hoist in neutral, spin each tire by hand while grasping the strut spring/or coil spring with the other hand, a good bearing will feel smooth in the spring, a bad bearing you will feel the roughness in the spring

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 2:31 AM
  • kcin520k

I have a loud humming sound coming from front of truck. I was told I needed a hub bearing assembly when I got truck aligned. Just dont know wich one. Going to fix myself

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 2:36 AM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

If your sure its the front, go ahead and jack the front up and spin each one like I said, you will find it. Make sure to block the tires.

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 2:46 AM
  • kcin520k

I will try that. Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 3:17 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

PROTECH1980,

Gonna sling out one of my famous Hillbilly Diagnosing Techniques!

Get your buddy to drive

You have already set up your "Patent Pending" Diagnostic tooling

Using 2 appropriate lengths of your neighbor's "Used to Be" garden hose

Tape one end of each, to both front fenders nearest to the hub as you can get, without hitting your tire. You know it. Duct Tape!

Run the other ends into the cockpit, And cram 'em in your ears, so that, "You" the weapons Officer, can use this "South Carolina Sonar" to pick your target!

Now wasn't that special!

The Medic

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 AT 3:24 AM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

I like it CJ, Hey, we all got our ways dont we. Well have a good day.

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 2:06 AM
  • kcin520k

Hey I did what you said except the water hose thing which I was dying to try, but figured i"d keep it simple. Anyways it was the front left. I did it myself and it was"nt that bad. I drove it and it was much much much better, but I think I will have to replace the right one also. It has a slight humming sound comming from it. Thanks for the tips.

Saturday, July 16th, 2011 AT 6:32 AM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

Your welcome, glad we could assist.

Saturday, July 16th, 2011 AT 3:59 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

You just can't get any simpler.I assumed you would talk your buddy into the acquiring and labor end of this. And you would be the "Man with the Plan"!

I reckon it's a "Who's Who" thing. Sometimes my Excellent Ideas are given to the wrong buddy! Lol!

You keep hangin' 'round here, PROTECH1980 will testify I can come up with some "Operational Doozies", down here. Not "down under" (that a big ole island, where Crocodile Dundee lives). We do have gators towards the coast, But I'm sorta near the mountains, where you can hear them banjos echoing in the night!

Ya'll hang around now!

The Medic

Saturday, July 16th, 2011 AT 6:20 PM