HEATER NOT WORKING

• josearias
  • 2002 Ford Expedition
  • automatic

Ford expedition 2002 v8 4.6L 136000 heater not working! Replaced blend door, t stat, heater core valve, flushed hoses, flushed heater core, actuator is doing what suppose to, temperature **** is okay. What else could prevent heater not to work?

Saturday, December 18th, 2010 AT 3:50 PM

• mjr346

If both hoses are hot at the heater core outside, I'd look at the actuator again. Seen many of them where if not under a bind will turn but put a slight bind on them and they make a ratchiting sound and won't move. Please give more info on temperature of hoses.

Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 7:50 PM
  • josearias

Both hoses are hot at the heater core outside.

Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 11:23 PM
  • mjr346

Then I would look for an internal issue. As I stated about the blend door actuator motor, it will turn free, but put a slight bind and normally it won't turn, I change them a lot, but if both sides are hot at the heater core, I would recommend investigating inside issues such as the actuator, the door (which you replaced) or the control head

Monday, December 20th, 2010 AT 1:56 AM
  • josearias

What is the function of the actuator? Blend door appears to be opening fine. Sometimes I do hear the ratching sound but not all the time. Should I just go ahead and replace the heater core and the actuator?

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 1:14 AM
  • josearias

I am getting only (72f) degress coming out of the vents. I am about to give up. What else should I do?

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 1:17 AM
  • josearias

To be honest I believe the hoses are all about the same temperatures as other hoses outside. If I step on the gas temperature coming out of the vents goes up to 74f and drops back to 68f?

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 1:23 AM
  • mjr346

That's why I asked about the temperature of the hoses for. If both going into the firewall with engine temperature at mid range should be too hot to handle on both hoses if the core is operating properly.

If you are hearing the ratchiting, it's probably the actuator. The actuator moves the blend door using a electrical motor. These things are known to strip out the plastic gear built into them and will ratchet and make noise or cause luke warm temperatures.

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 2:46 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Mjr346 is correct. If both hear core hoses are hot, the heater core has to be hot too. Thus, the only other thing left is the blend door actuator. As he mentioned, if you hear a ratcheting sound, something is slipping. Most likely the plastic gear that is built into them.

Saturday, March 12th, 2011 AT 5:33 AM