2002 Ford Expedition Fuel Pump

MATTHEWH
  • 2002 FORD EXPEDITION
Sometimes my fuel pump does not engage when I turn the key. When it does it starts fine and never stalls or runs rough. There are no trouble codes. I have already checked the relay. What could be causing it to work sporadically.
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 AT 10:27 AM

RACEFAN966
I need to know what engine size you have in truck to look over the right wiring diagram so I can try to help with what might be going on.
+1
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 10:06 AM
MATTHEWH
It is the 4.6 L V8
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 11:01 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok next time it won't start I would like you to check the inertia switch. It is on the right side (passenger) under the dash, see pic below. Once you find it simply push the white or red button on it and see if it starts. Otherwise I would have to say we need to check the wiring to the pump or check for power to and from the relay with a digital multi meter. Let me know what you find and we will take it from there.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_DSC01070_1.jpg

+2
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 8:58 AM
MATTHEWH
I have checked the Inertia switch, it is fine. I have learned something that might help you. I can keep turning the key from the off to run until I hear the pump run, then it starts. Sometimes it takes several times, but once I hear it run it starts right up.
+1
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 9:48 AM
RACEFAN966
Have you checked out the PCM power relay? This is the switched power source for the fuel pump relay. This is in the junction box under the dash. If you have a digital multi meter then check if term 86 or the white wire with the light blue stripe is getting power as you turn the key on.
Friday, February 26th, 2010 AT 10:02 AM
MATTHEWH
Now the pump will not engage at all. I will test the wire you told me about tomorrow. Is it AC or DC?
Thursday, March 4th, 2010 AT 6:51 PM
RACEFAN966
It is all DC power. Let me know what you find and we will go from there.
Friday, March 5th, 2010 AT 10:17 AM
MATTHEWH
I checked the relay, it is getting power. I can feel it clicking when the engine is turned over. I will check the wire going to the fuel pump. Will it be the white wire with the blue stripe? Where in line would be the best place to access it? Thank you for your patience, I will add some more money to the forum for you.
Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 2:07 PM
RACEFAN966
It shows the wire to be pink with black stripe that powers the fuel pump. Let me know what you find and we will go from there.
Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 8:59 AM
MATTHEWH
The Fuel pump is definitely getting power. My meter reads the pink with black stripped wire as getting power and I can hear it click when the key is turned but it does not run.
Sunday, March 14th, 2010 AT 3:36 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok so when it won't start does the pump get power? Have you replaced anything? Have you checked for spark?
Monday, March 15th, 2010 AT 9:02 AM
SIDNEY NOWDEN
I have a 2002 ford expedition, 4.6 v8, pulling up in my driveway and the truck went dead. They told me it was the fuel. So I replaced the fuel pump and the filter, but it keep blowing the fuse under the hood
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 6:09 PM
RACEFAN966
Which fuse?
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 8:09 PM