TIMING CHAIN OR BELT

2002 Ford Escape

sallieschautteet@live.com

November, 23, 2011 AT 2:23 AM

Hello. I am looking at buying a 2002 Ford Escape xls with 135K miles on it. I am trying to find out if the car has a timing chain or a timing belt and if there is a difference between the two other than material. Do they both perform the same function? If it has a chain, how important is it to know if it's been changed or not? Do they generally need to be changed? Do you know if 4500 is a good price? Also, if there are any issues with this particular model that I should be aware of I would appreciate it very much if you will tell me about them. Thank you! I am so broke that I can't afford to donate much, but will give 10 dollars. Thanks, again.

November, 23, 2011 AT 3:24 AM

The 4 cylinder has a belt. Needs to be changed at 100k.

The v6 has a chain. Needs to be serviced at engine overhaul.

4500 is not a bad price but I would consider an extended warranty to cover any extra major repairs.

rivermikerat

November, 23, 2011 AT 3:25 AM

Chain is metal, belt is reinforced rubber. They both perform the same function. Belts tend to have more problems, though, because rubber stretches more than metal.
Your Escape has a 2liter engine that utilizes a belt. With 135K on it, the belt should have been changed at least once. In good condition, $4500 sounds good to me.

sallieschautteet@live.com

November, 23, 2011 AT 3:33 AM

Thank you both. I should have mentioned that it is a V6. Roy, at what point does an engine overhaul need to be done and do you have an idea of the cost? Thank you so much.

November, 23, 2011 AT 3:36 AM

Most last around 150-200 with good servicing on your end.

I would allow about 3500-400 for an overhaul.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML