TIMING CHAIN OR BELT

• sallieschautteet@live.com
  • 2002 Ford Escape

Hello. I am looking at buying a 2002 Ford Escape xls with 135K miles on it. I am trying to find out if the car has a timing chain or a timing belt and if there is a difference between the two other than material. Do they both perform the same function? If it has a chain, how important is it to know if it's been changed or not? Do they generally need to be changed? Do you know if 4500 is a good price? Also, if there are any issues with this particular model that I should be aware of I would appreciate it very much if you will tell me about them. Thank you! I am so broke that I can't afford to donate much, but will give 10 dollars. Thanks, again.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 2:23 AM

• ASEMaster6371

The 4 cylinder has a belt. Needs to be changed at 100k.

The v6 has a chain. Needs to be serviced at engine overhaul.

4500 is not a bad price but I would consider an extended warranty to cover any extra major repairs.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 3:24 AM
  • rivermikerat

Chain is metal, belt is reinforced rubber. They both perform the same function. Belts tend to have more problems, though, because rubber stretches more than metal.
Your Escape has a 2liter engine that utilizes a belt. With 135K on it, the belt should have been changed at least once. In good condition, $4500 sounds good to me.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 3:25 AM
  • sallieschautteet@live.com

Thank you both. I should have mentioned that it is a V6. Roy, at what point does an engine overhaul need to be done and do you have an idea of the cost? Thank you so much.

+1
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 3:33 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Most last around 150-200 with good servicing on your end.

I would allow about 3500-400 for an overhaul.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 3:36 AM