How to set timing chain and camshaft correctly

APAC408
  • 2002 FORD ESCAPE

I was recently doing the timing and just realized that the car I was working on I was going by the wrong year the actual year is the one mentioned above 2002. So if someone could please give me the write up of how to do the timing chain and camshafts correctly it would be much appreciated

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 1:39 AM

ASEMASTER6371

It is the same as I sent you in your previous post

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 1:49 AM
APAC408

Is it okay because i'm getting confused I know it says mark 1 link as crankshaft and than count 29 links mark as exhaust mark count to 42 mark as intake. The thing about it is what mark do I line it up to do I line it up to the keyway mark or this other timing mark. When I tried to line it up with the keyway one there was more than 29 links to get to the exhaust mark

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 2:17 AM
APAC408

Heres the picture I am going by

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 2:28 AM
ASEMASTER6371

You have to have the exact amount of links to set the timing correctly. Start over and keep trying to get it right

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 2:30 AM
APAC408

Okay but as far as the mark to put the crankshaft chain on am I putting on the keyway mark or am I going by the mark on the sprocket

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 2:38 AM
KHLOW2008

Use the mark on the sprocket.

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 6:31 AM
APAC408

Okay that cleared things up for me big time thank you

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 2:53 PM
APAC408

Okay so today I went to go turn the key to test for compression and nothing no cranking or anything I just put the battery in so it is a freshly charged battery all it does is everything turns off when I go to crank it and than when I stop all the lights and radio come back on theres full power what now is it the theft alarm on it

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 5:30 PM
APAC408

Another thing to add when I connect my scanner to read codes and pull up information it doesn't even read the vehicle it say please turn on ignition key and try again. Does this mean my car computer system isn't working

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AT 5:34 PM
KHLOW2008

Most likely you have a wiring fault. Recheck all the fuses and ensure the anti-theft is not triggered. If it is, it can cause non-communications.

Wednesday, September 12th, 2012 AT 8:41 AM
APAC408

Okay how do I disable the anti theft on this vehicle

Wednesday, September 12th, 2012 AT 2:16 PM
APAC408

Also if this helps any when I look at the speedometer there is no mileage showing its doesn't say how many miles is on the car or how many miles traveled nothing.

Wednesday, September 12th, 2012 AT 2:21 PM
KHLOW2008

You have a power supply fault and nd should be checking the fuses, especiallym the fusible links. You need to test them, not just visual inspection.

Thursday, September 13th, 2012 AT 7:32 AM
APAC408

Why would everything else turn on except the odometer reading

Thursday, September 13th, 2012 AT 7:08 PM
KHLOW2008

Try this and see how the odometer shows. If it does not show anything you could have a blown bulb.

Self Diagnostic Mode

To enter the instrument cluster self diagnostic mode with the engine off, depress and hold the trip/odometer reset button. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and hold until tESt appears in the display area (within five to eight seconds). Once the tESt
appears release the trip/odometer reset button within three seconds. Depress the trip/odometer reset button once to advance to each stage of the self-test.

Turn the ignition to the OFF position to exit the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode.

Friday, September 14th, 2012 AT 11:57 AM
APAC408

Okay so I got the car to run now but it wants to die I hear a loud hissing sound so I know their is either a broken hose or loose connection also to why can't I put it in gear only park is highlighted with a box around it. When I try to put it in any other gear it won't let me it just doesn't highlight any other gear I try to put it in

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 AT 7:22 PM
KHLOW2008

Yes, seems you have a vacuum leakages somewhere and if the noise is loud, it should be easy to detect. Vacuum leakage causing difficult starting are usually between MAF and throtttle plate, meaning the air hose.

Check the Park and Neutral Position switch located at transaxle, at gear shift lever. Does the gears engage though they are not showing?

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 AT 8:17 PM
APAC408

Okay I fixed the gear shift it works now it seems that the link came off and the vacuum leak I fixed also but there is a loud squealing sound coming from the water pump side it isn't the belt, its not the belt tensioner, it seem to be coming from the camshaft pulley on it whenever I rev the engine the squealing gets louder I took the belt off to see if any change and thats how I knew it wasn't the belt. Any ideas could it be that the pulley that goes onto the camshaft is loose

Thursday, September 20th, 2012 AT 1:31 AM
KHLOW2008

This don't look good. The timing chan could be brushing against the housing or something inside and you would need to open up and check for abrasions to non moving parts. If you had removed the camshaft pulley, it might not be seated flush or not torqued correctly.

This could be something serious and you should avoid starting the engine.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Thursday, September 20th, 2012 AT 6:28 AM
APAC408

Okay so I opened it up to check if anything was grinding or to see if there was any metal flakes anywhere but nothing, I had someone rotate the crankshaft while I checked for any scraping or brushing and nothing. To give you a better idea of where the sound is coming from I am attaching a picture. This is where the pulley goes on to drive the water pump. It seems everytime I rev the engine it squeals but its not the belt

Thursday, September 20th, 2012 AT 4:33 PM