PREIGNITION KNOCK

2002 Ford 500

hopk6344

June, 8, 2011 AT 3:24 PM

I have 2002 ford windstar with the large v6 (vulcan) and I noticed that it has recently started pinging or knocking under acceleration. It does it when the engine is hot, not when it is cold. The problem occurs under light to moderate acceleration or just after the automatic transmission shifts. I've taken it to a diagnostic center and they have checked the EGR valve and associated systems, polled the computer for error codes (none found). I have no check engine lights or other warning lights.

Their best guesse was bad gas. I've changed brand/gas station and have run a half tank of premium through it and while the knock has diminished, it is still there. What could be causing this problem?

Docfixit

June, 8, 2011 AT 4:00 PM

Suspect EGR the operation system may have checked out but passage ways maybe blocked with carbon. Need to remove EGR inspect and clean. EGR must operate or knock will occur

hopk6344

June, 8, 2011 AT 4:03 PM

I will double-check, but I think they took the egr valve off and checked the passage ways to make sure they were unobstructed. I remember the tech saying that could be a problem when I dropped the van off for diagnostics.

hopk6344

June, 8, 2011 AT 4:08 PM

I just checked with the tech - they did NOT do a physical inspection of the passages. They pulled the sensor data and the flow sensor showed full flow - indicates no obstruction.

Docfixit

June, 8, 2011 AT 4:40 PM

That just means flow of vacuum not exhaust gas into intake

June, 8, 2011 AT 5:34 PM

DOC,

COULD TIMING, OR SLOP IN THE TIMING HAVE THE SAME AFFECT?

I FEEL SURE ON THIS RIG, "ADVANCE" IS ELECTRICALLY CONTROLLED, NOT VACUUM---PRONE TO NON-WORKING MECHANICAL PARTS, LIKE IN OLDER VEHICLES.

June, 8, 2011 AT 5:45 PM

Could also be the knock sensor not retarding the timing when engine is detonating or engine is overheating and type of fuel use

Docfixit

June, 8, 2011 AT 5:45 PM

Found Technical Service Bullitin REF> 04-19-2 that is a reflash for PCM to adjust Octane to control knock. Bummer is dealer would have to do

hopk6344

June, 13, 2011 AT 5:51 PM

Well, my mechanic flushed the fuel injectors and the combustion chamber to remove carbon, still getting the preignition. Next on the list is to do a physical inspection of the EGR ventilation passageways. Also, found out that this year of ford does not have a knock sensor. If this doesn't work, what would you recommend?

hopk6344

June, 13, 2011 AT 5:53 PM

The timing chain/belt (whatever it uses) and the sprocket was replaced 30 thousand miles ago. (About 3 years ago).

hopk6344

June, 13, 2011 AT 9:45 PM

Mechanic said the ventilation passages were clear, but found a problem with the EGR control solenoid. Could this be causing the problem? Also, wouldn't that cause an error code on the computer?

Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear