1. Remove the front shock assembly from the vehicle. (Refer to SHOCK ASSEMBLY).
2. Disassemble the shock assembly until the upper (shock absorber/upper control arm) mounting bracket is removed from the coil spring. (Refer to DISASSEMBLY SHOCK ASSEMBLY).
3. Remove the 2 bolts attaching the upper control arm bushings in the upper mounting bracket. (Fig. 80).
Fig. 80: Removing Upper Control Arm To Mounting Bracket Attachment Bolts
Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORP.
4. Remove the upper control arm from the mounting bracket.
1. Install the upper control arm on the upper (shock absorber/upper control arm) mounting bracket.
2. Install the 2 bolts attaching the upper control arm to the bushings in the mounting bracket (Fig. 80). The bolts must be installed from center, so the heads are toward the coil spring when it is installed. The bolts
MUST be installed so the head of the bolt will be toward the coil spring when the mounting bracket is installed on shock absorber (Fig. 80) .
CAUTION: For clearance reasons the control arm mounting bolts must be installed from center, so the heads are toward the coil spring when it is installed.
Otherwise the bolts may rub the coil spring, damaging it.
Reinstall at a 90 degree angle and torque to 90 NM (66 ft lbs.)
January, 4, 2012 AT 5:07 PM
So I don't need a strut spring compressor tool to do this?
January, 4, 2012 AT 6:08 PM
You sholdn't if you aren't taking the strut apart.