LOWER CONTROL ARM INSTALLATION

2002 Dodge Stratus

ellistmc

July, 30, 2013 AT 7:50 PM

My balljoint came loose and the tire practically came off on the passenger side. I'm replacing the entire control arm which was hard to come out but I got it out. Now I'm trying to reinstall it but the long piece on the left which goes inside is hard to line up with the holes. Is it ok to use some force? I don't want to ruin anything. I just can't afford to.

caradiodoc

July, 30, 2013 AT 8:29 PM

That ball joint holds up well over 1000 pounds. It can handle all the force you can throw at it.

For the ball joint to be worn that badly you would have had a lot of warning in the form of clunking or knocking. Don't forget to inspect the other side for any movement or play. It must be unloaded to check it with a pry bar. Do that by supporting the car with jack stands under the frame / body, and let the control arm hang down freely. When you pry in any direction there should not be any movement between the ball and socket.

Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy