Knocking coming from the engine

VIC21772
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
My 2002 Pt cruiser has a knocking coming from the engine, but it only seems to knock when idling, seems to run fine other wise. It only seems to knock when idling, seems to be fine other wise, it seems to go away when you rev it up, just knocks when idling.
Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 AT 7:39 PM

FIXITMR
Does it matter if engine is warm or cold? Sound change at all?
+1
Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 AT 8:21 PM
VIC21772
Well it seems to get louder when the car warms up, it may be there when you first start it but it is hard to hear it over the fuel injection, but once it warms up it it very noticeable. And aain only seems to happen when it is idleing.
Thursday, April 19th, 2012 AT 6:09 PM
FIXITMR
Well 2 things might account for the difference. Increased oil pressure above idle and a rotational balancing increase. Usually it's the crankshaft that exhibits this kind of behavior.
+2
Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 4:32 AM
FIXITMR
A timing chain can also exhibit these symptoms. Hard to diagnos over net.
+1
Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 4:33 AM
VIC21772
Hard to say, but the timing belt, and water pump were just changed about a month ago, and I just replaced the PCM about a week ago, and I just changed the sparkplugs 2 days ago, runs a heck of alot better but the knock is stil present.
Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 2:08 PM
FIXITMR
There was a TSB on 4cyl motors for cam knock. Said it was not sychronous/rhythmic but erratic tap noise.
+1
Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 8:39 PM