POWERTRAIN?

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

Jerry108

February, 25, 2011 AT 12:33 AM

Have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with towing pkg. Tahoe has approx. 150,000 miles. Went to backup after putting in reverse and heard a clunk sound and then a whining sound. Get this same sound in park or nuetral but worse in reverse. No such noise in drive, but have only moved Tahoe a couple of feet since this happened. Have I dropped the rearend? Have a transmission problem? Thanks for your help. Jerry.

Jacobandnickolas

February, 25, 2011 AT 2:05 AM

Jerry: That is a good question. I would think if the pinion or ring gear in the differential would have gone bad, it wouldn't move at all. In the transmission is what is called a planetary gear. It is called that because there are 3 gears that ride around another one to give you reverse when the low / reverse clutch is locked. Based on what you are saying, it sounds like that may have come apart. That sad part. It is the farthest gear back in the transmission before the sprag gear which is for park. If you can, have a helper start the vehicle, place the park brake on and hold his foot on the foot brake so the car can't move. Listen under the vehicle to see if it seems like the noise is coming from the transmission area.

Let me know what you find.

Jerry108

February, 25, 2011 AT 2:16 AM

Thanks Joe, I will try that in the morning when my neighbor can help and let you know. Jerry

Jacobandnickolas

February, 25, 2011 AT 2:20 AM

Jerry: Just be careful. Let me know what you find. I work from 6AM till 3PM eastern time, but check my email about 50 times a day for this job, so I'll get back to you quickly.

Jerry108

February, 25, 2011 AT 2:28 AM

Joe, Do I need to put it in any gear to check where the noise is coming from or just start it with the parking & foot brake engaged and in park? Jerry

rivermikerat

March, 21, 2011 AT 6:03 AM

Park and neutral Jerry.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler