QUESTION ON REAR BLOWER MOTOR FAN SWITCH?

2002 Chevrolet Suburban

Drumworx

August, 20, 2012 AT 11:35 PM

Hello:

I have a 2002 Chevy Suburban with 130k miles. I have a problem with the rear blower fan switch (both ceiling controls - front and rear). The problem is as follows:

When I turn on the rear blower fan to SPEED #1, there is no low speed air at all. When I turn the fan up to SPEED #2 or SPEED #3, it blows at MEDIUM speed. Finally, when I turn the fan up to SPEED #3, it blows normal on HIGH.

Side note: The blower fan switch for the driver's compartment (located on the dashboard) is working properly.

I was told that it may be a rear blower resistor, but I am unsure if my Suburban even has a rear blower resistor. I know for a fact that it has a front blower resistor (located under the passenger side of the dashboard). I was also told that it could possibly be a blower relay?

Please steer me in the right direction on this problem so that I don't spend on parts that I do not need?

Thank you very much in advance.

Jim in AZ

DocDTC

August, 21, 2012 AT 12:13 AM

If it were a relay, you would have nothing at all. Your rear blower resistor is located above the right rear wheelwell. It is accessed through the cargo area.

DocDTC

August, 21, 2012 AT 12:17 AM

If it were a relay, you would have nothing at all. Your rear blower resistor is located above the right rear wheelwell. It is accessed through the cargo area. The symptom you describe is completely consistent with the resistor being faulty- as high speed is just direct B+ voltage. This is a very easy fix. If you have any questions e-mail me at DocDTC@gmail. Com

Drumworx

August, 21, 2012 AT 2:06 AM

Thank you guys! I will check the rear cargo area resistor.

Jim K in AZ

August, 21, 2012 AT 11:11 AM

This is the part you should be looking for.

Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro
Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple