TRUCK 'STUMBLED' ON WHEN LEAVING LIGHT, QUIT. GAUGE NEEDLES ALL DROPPED TO LEFT.

• JimboD
  • 2002 Chevrolet Silverado
  • 149 miles

Truck has 149,000 mi, for past few months, Alt. Gauge needle has been occasionally fluttering and at a light sometimes would drop below halfway. I figured alternator was coming soon. The other day the truck stumbled leaving a light all gauge needles dropped like a lack of power. Truck turns over fine but won't catch like it isn't getting gas. And if is does start, it is only for a second and will barely run. It acts like in the old days when you blew an alternator and were running on the battery and the battery was just about out of juice. I put a new alternator in and still have the same issue. I am concerned now that it is the fuel pump but before I go through the hassle of dropping the tank I would like to know if I am on the right or wrong path. The dude at autozone seems to think it is a gauge cluster for some reason. That didn't make sense to me. A couple of years ago, someone tried to steal the truck and when I had a new ignition put in, the security light stays on. I haven't had the computer reset and don't know if that has anything to do with it. Money is tight and I need to do as much as I can myself. I live in Phoenix and the temps can be extreme on vehicle components (supposed to be 108 today). Hard on the shadetree mechanic too. LOL. I'm sure I am due for a fuel pump too but I can't afford to do the pump and still not have it run.

Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 AT 5:57 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Parts salesman are not techs. They want to sell you parts.

I would do a fuel pressure test to verify pump pressure before even thinking about replacing the module. It sounds like your issue but it needs to be confirmed.

Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 AT 8:21 PM
  • JimboD

Thank you, a few minutes ago we went out and I turn the key to the on position. We heard 4 or 5 clicks at the gas tank (fuel pump). The truck started and ran for about 5 to 8 seconds and quit. After turning the key off, I turned it back to the on position. No clicks but turns over and won't fire. I tried this one more time with the same result.

Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 AT 8:26 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

The pump will prime with the key on for 2 seconds then stops until it gets a tach signal from the computer. It will not run in the on position for more than 2 seconds.

You still need a pressure gauge to verfiy.

Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 AT 8:52 PM
  • JimboD

First pressure test resulted in a zero psi reading. Changed the fuel filter and tried again and had a zero psi. Did have gas dribble out of the test port so some gas is getting there but I was expecting it to spray, not dribble.

Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 AT 10:57 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

You need 58-60 lbs minimum. You hve a failed pump from your description.

Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 AT 11:34 PM
  • JimboD

So I am 58-60 psi short I gather. LOL. Thank you very much. Wasn't good news but it confirms what I was unfortunately thinking.

Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 AT 11:37 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Good luck

Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 AT 11:42 PM