2002 IMPALA HESITATES GOING UP HILL IN HOT WEATHER

• Henrys
  • 2002 Chevrolet Impala

I noticed on a hot day turning a corner that if I push down on the accelerator too hard that the car hesitates/lurches. I thought that it might be the transmission, but in cold weather or when the engine is running in cool weather I can stomp on it and it does not happen. When I leave the trans in 3rd, it still does it. The car is well maintained. What are the easy fixes that I should try first before taking it to the mechanic?
Thanks in advance!

Friday, July 20th, 2012 AT 12:26 AM

• saturntech9

See if it gets worse with the ac on if the ac works?Also have you checked for codes in the computer?

Friday, July 20th, 2012 AT 2:28 AM
  • Henrys

Yes the air cond. Works very well and the hesitation happens if it is on or off. The check engine light has not turned on. Any way to check codes without a handheld reader?

Friday, July 20th, 2012 AT 9:51 AM
  • saturntech9

I was asking if it was worse with the ac on?Also no way to check codes on that car without atleast a code reader. Amazon has the basic one for like 20 and you can get one that reads some live data for 50 something on amazon.

Friday, July 20th, 2012 AT 8:13 PM
  • Henrys

It is worse with the air on. Will I get codes without the check engine light in?

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 1:54 PM
  • saturntech9

You can still have codes without a check engine light. If its worse with the ac on it could be spark plug wires spark plugs etc.

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 6:01 PM
  • Henrys

I also noticed that at times, when I step on it that there is a sound like a tuning harp that comes from what sounds like behind the radio. Vacuum leak. Think its related?

Sunday, July 22nd, 2012 AT 2:05 PM
  • saturntech9

Could be a vacuum leak but really dont think its related. So is it worse with the ac on?

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 8:52 PM
  • Henrys

Yes, it is worse with ac on.

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 10:50 PM
  • saturntech9

Sounds like it could be the ignition system have you checked the plugs and wires?

Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 AT 1:26 AM
  • Henrys

I looked under the hood and did not see any sparks jumping. Any other easy way to check?

Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 AT 10:56 AM