HESITATES GOING UP HILL IN HOT WEATHER

2002 Chevrolet Impala

Henrys

July, 20, 2012 AT 12:26 AM

I noticed on a hot day turning a corner that if I push down on the accelerator too hard that the car hesitates/lurches. I thought that it might be the transmission, but in cold weather or when the engine is running in cool weather I can stomp on it and it does not happen. When I leave the trans in 3rd, it still does it. The car is well maintained. What are the easy fixes that I should try first before taking it to the mechanic?
Thanks in advance!

saturntech9

July, 20, 2012 AT 2:28 AM

See if it gets worse with the ac on if the ac works?Also have you checked for codes in the computer?

Henrys

July, 20, 2012 AT 9:51 AM

Yes the air cond. Works very well and the hesitation happens if it is on or off. The check engine light has not turned on. Any way to check codes without a handheld reader?

saturntech9

July, 20, 2012 AT 8:13 PM

I was asking if it was worse with the ac on?Also no way to check codes on that car without atleast a code reader. Amazon has the basic one for like 20 and you can get one that reads some live data for 50 something on amazon.

Henrys

July, 21, 2012 AT 1:54 PM

It is worse with the air on. Will I get codes without the check engine light in?

saturntech9

July, 21, 2012 AT 6:01 PM

You can still have codes without a check engine light. If its worse with the ac on it could be spark plug wires spark plugs etc.

Henrys

July, 22, 2012 AT 2:05 PM

I also noticed that at times, when I step on it that there is a sound like a tuning harp that comes from what sounds like behind the radio. Vacuum leak. Think its related?

saturntech9

July, 23, 2012 AT 8:52 PM

Could be a vacuum leak but really dont think its related. So is it worse with the ac on?

Henrys

July, 23, 2012 AT 10:50 PM

Yes, it is worse with ac on.

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 1:26 AM

Sounds like it could be the ignition system have you checked the plugs and wires?

Henrys

July, 24, 2012 AT 10:56 AM

I looked under the hood and did not see any sparks jumping. Any other easy way to check?

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro