2002 Buick Rendezvous Car dies after starting

EBLEAS
  • 2002 BUICK RENDEZVOUS
  • AWD
Car will pretty consistently do the following when started first thing in the morning. The engine starts, acts like it is trying to run, grumbles a bit (or a lot) and then dies out after a second or two. Usually starting it again will cause it to start and run. This only happens after letting the car sit overnight. Starts during the day after the initial start are usually fine. Once running, the car runs great - no hesitation, stalling or other issues. No codes displayed when scanned, no warning lights displayed. Here is what has been replaced by me or a shop recently (either for this issue or another problem):

- Fuel pump / filter (shop)
- Crankshaft position sensor (shop)
- PCM (me)
- Ignition switch (me)

After I replaced the PCM (to correct a crank / no start condition), I did not do the crankshaft relearn procedure which is recommended, as I don't have the Tech II scanner needed. Is this important? What would be common things to look for next? I read the fuel pressure regulator can have a slow leak which causes gas to accumulate which results in a too-rich condition when first started. Any help to guide me in what to try next would be most appreciated.
Monday, October 13th, 2014 AT 12:56 PM

KEN
From the symptoms you have disclosed, it sounds like you have a slow to react at start up IAC idle air control valve. Can you remove it and clean all ports and the motor, also clean the throttle body. Let see what you find, please get back to us.

Here is a link to help see what needs to be done,

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/throttle-actuator-service

Thanks for the donation!
Monday, October 13th, 2014 AT 1:20 PM