THERE IS A TERRIBLE GRAUNCHING SOUND WHEN I PUT ...

2001 Volkswagen Polo

Anonymous

October, 29, 2012 AT 10:40 PM

There is a terrible "graunching" sound when I put my foot on the brake when reversing down a slope. The car has been in for many checks into the Continental Motors and I have been told all brake pads have been replaced and the the drum "buffed" but it is still doing it. Have you any suggestions?
The car will be going back to the garage for a week long check in a fortnight, but maybe there is something you could suggest?

Rear Drum Getting Hot

exovcds

October, 31, 2012 AT 1:43 AM

Are you sure the noise is from the brakes?

Could you be hearing noise resonating through the Suspension?

On Automatic transmissions for instance. If I lightly hold my foot on the brake pedal while the transmission is in drive, the rubbing of the
brake pads on the discs, causes a loud creaking noise through the suspension / coil springs as the vehicle starts to move slowly.

Try only using your hand brake / emergency brake. Does the noise still happen?

Does the noise only happen after a "cold start" (vehicle sitting over night)? Does the noise go away after you have been driving for some time?

Different brake shoe manufacturers use different compounds / additives, try different brake shoes. An unnecessary expense if your brake
shoes / pads are still nice and thick.

Thomas

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front