MY SISTERS POLO HAS DEVELOPED A STRANGE WHINING ...

2001 Volkswagen Polo

Anonymous

November, 15, 2012 AT 4:59 PM

My sisters polo has developed a strange whining noise which increases the faster you go. I initially thought it may be the gearbox so I have replaced it. The noise still there : (. The noise is only there when the car is moving and gets louder when I go faster. Note: I have checked all the wheel bearings and are ok. It sounds as if it is coming from the dashboard area, so I disconnected the speedo and noise still there. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I am pulling my hair out here trying to diagnose. Thanks

exovcds

November, 16, 2012 AT 11:41 PM

How loud is the noise?

Can you record it with a cellphone (video) and post it on youtube. Post the link here so that we can see / hear it.

When driving at 50-80km/h, move the steering wheel slightly to the left and then to the right (like a slalom).
****** MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE IN A LOW TRAFFIC AREA*****

If the noise goes AWAY in one direction and is LOUDER in the other direction. You have a bad FRONT wheel bearing.

Thomas

STEVE777

Sounds like an over tensioned timing belt. If you search on Youtube you'll have a video of the noise. Check if this is the same noise as yours. Also, this will ONLY happen when you accelerate. Wheel bearings will cause noise all the time.

exovcds

A tight timing belt will be noisy standing still and reving the engine. Original poster said the car has to be moving.

Guess we will never know. I don't get why people ask questions and then don't reply when they get free advice / an answer to their question.

Wheel Bearing Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear