2001 VOLKSWAGEN POLO STARTING THE CAR

• miremba
  • 2001 Volkswagen Polo

2001 Volkswagen Polo 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

when starting the car in the morning, there is no problem. But when the sun is out, or when it heats up, I get a hard start, have changed oil level, spark plugs twice and there is no improvement. There is lots of soot on the spark plugs.

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 9:54 AM

• jason_marshall

My wife's 2001 Polo (34000 miles) has the same issue. It started of doing it when the car was left in the sun the whole day. It has been doing it more and more and completely dead now.

Did you find the issue. I spoke to somebody else with a 2002 polo who also started experiencing this issue in the last year or so.

I would be greatful if you have found the problem.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 7:58 PM
  • jason_marshall

I took the Polo to an Auto Electrician who indicated that the ignition is a common issue. He replaced the electrical parts of the ignition and it working now.

So symptoms are: When car is left in sun it will not start. Only when it cools off will it start again. You can see oil, temp, etc ligths comming on and also electrical fans starting, it just does not start the engine.

It gets worse over time. It took about 1 to 2 years to completely give in.

If you have a 3rd party Radio installed tied to the ignition, and it stays on when the ignition is turned off, then that is another symptom you can go buy. This is working fine now.

I hope somebody with this same issue finds this message!

Wednesday, January 4th, 2012 AT 2:00 PM
  • Ahmed_Bassam

my 2008 polo (78000 km) does the same. The car doesn't start straight away, and it takes about 3-5 tries to get it started - or even one long try that lasts about 6-8 seconds and then it runs fine. I took it to an electrician and he has not figured the issue.

Jason, could you please clarify what did you mean by electrical parts of the ignition? And how much will it cost approximately? It would be really helpful if you could answer because i'am pretty sure I will be forced to explain the fixing procedure to the electrician since we don't have professional electricians here " Palestine-west bank"

help is much appreciated.

Sunday, August 5th, 2012 AT 12:18 AM
  • jason_marshall

Hi Ahmed

Not sure if your issue is the same, but it gets worse over time. I found it was to occur when the car was left in the sun.

Not exactly sure how many parts the whole ignition consists of, but it was relatively cheap. I paid R400 SA for the replacement parts. I did have to replace the keys or re-program the Computer unit, so not the electronic or mechanical parts.

Regards
Jason

Monday, August 6th, 2012 AT 6:37 AM
  • jason_marshall

I did not have to replace the keys or re-program the Computer unit, so not the electronic or mechanical parts.

Monday, August 6th, 2012 AT 6:39 AM
  • Ahmed_Bassam

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely give it a try to see if there will be any progress. I will post an updating reply as soon as it gets fixed.

Best Regards
Ahmed

Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 AT 8:20 AM