DRIVER SEAT WON'T LOCK IN PLACE

• ptorpey
  • 2001 Volkswagen Jetta

2001 volkswagon jetta. The driver seat will not lock into place after a friend with long legs put it all the way back. Is there a way to fix this?

Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 2:46 PM

• Tmking112

I just picked up my 2001 jet wagon after cv boot replacement. The driver's front seat would not lock and slid back and forth in response to my driving. I thought it was a temperature related problem (car was left outside in 0 degree weather by dealer). I garaged the car overnight, letting it warm up. It now will lock in the farthest rear position. I, too, am looking for the solution and suspect this mechanism is over-engineered and the failure to lock is the result of an electrical failure.

Saturday, January 1st, 2011 AT 8:01 PM
  • ptorpey

Tried wd4 on the track and cable. Worked it back and forth also side to side and was able to get it to lock in position (for now).

Saturday, January 1st, 2011 AT 9:44 PM
  • Tmking112

Great solution. I did the same thing after sending my last comment, not as complicated as I first thought. Everything seems to work well now. Odd that these things seem to go bad at the same time. I also have the common problem that most others have with the mysterious unattached spring. My local service rep stated that it was a problem with a broken tab on the seat and repairs would run into $700. At least this problem was solved, for the time being, at no cost.

Sunday, January 2nd, 2011 AT 1:58 AM
  • ptorpey

Glad it worked for you too. Happy to pass on a tip that helps us all save money!

Sunday, January 2nd, 2011 AT 2:03 PM
  • pzcnw81

Thanks for the tip. Wd40 did the job for my 2000 jetta. Had to oil the rails and both ends of the cable mechanism that makes the seat lock and unlock.

Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 4:48 AM