A/C... WHERE IS THE FAN CONTROLLER LOCATED AND HOW DO YOU DETERMINE IF IT'S OPERATING PROPERLY OR NOT?

2001 Volkswagen Beetle

atomicdr

May, 6, 2012 AT 8:52 PM

I have what appears to be an operational a/c system. Yet it doesn't operate. I have proper readings on the low and high sides, full of freon, the a/c button on the dash lights up when depressed. But no clicking sound at the compressor. I've heard on these cars that the fan controller can cause these systems to malfunction if it's not working properly. I've also been referred to replacing the compressor clutch. I would like to do a proper diagnostic before assuming that the clutch is bad. My mechanic is anxious to replace the compressor/clutch asap. Short of work these last couple of weeks. Needs to play "catch-up" with my money.

thanks again guys

May, 6, 2012 AT 10:03 PM

Possibilites here: could be the magnetic clutch, pressure switch and AC relay-

vwscott

July, 7, 2012 AT 12:34 AM

Check resistance at the clutch connector. Should be close 4 ohms. If not it will send a signal to the fan control module and it will not allow it to function. If there is a malfunction in the cooling system it can disable it as well. The fan control module is located below the battery tray. I have seen a lot of them have moisture damage internally.

Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro