Toyota Celica problem

LARRYFINN
  • 2001 TOYOTA CELICA
CELICA PROBLEM
2001 Celica GT automatic. Bought it a little over a year ago. The speedometer and odometer would work sometimes and not others. At the same time the engine light would come on and the car, (automatic) would not shift into fourth gear. All these things would happen together. Sometimes everything would work…the meters would start working, the engine light would go off, and the car would shift into fourth. After a period off sometimes working and sometimes not, it stopped working permanently. So, the car has non working speed and odometer, the engine light stays on, and the car will not shift to fourth gear, (other three gears are fine).
I've replaced the speed sensor. My mechanic doesn't know what it is. He mentioned something about a "scope" that the dealer would have to trouble shoot the problem. The dealer told me the problem was due to the fourth gear being worn and I'd need a new transmission. I'm not buying that diagnosis. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Tuesday, November 16th, 2010 AT 6:50 AM

KHLOW2008
Get a scan done and let me know the EXACT trouble code for the MIL indicating and I will see what I can come up with.

I don't think the cause of the fault is mechanical. More likely the non working speedometer is related to it. When speedometer does not work, the trans would not know when to shift so it becomes errati at times.
Tuesday, November 16th, 2010 AT 11:47 AM
BMRFIXIT
What do you have for codes?

Using DVOM, measure resistance between terminals "A" and "B", and between "C" and "D" while indicator is resting on stopper pin.
Resistance should be 250 ohms between each set of terminals.
If resistance is not as specified, replace speedometer.
Ensure tires are correct size and inflated properly.
Place vehicle on standard speedometer tester. Compare tester with speedometer readings.
If vehicle speedometer readings are not within allowable range, replace speedometer.
If speedometer does not operate at all, check vehicle speed sensor

Connect a test tachometer and start engine.
Compare vehicle tachometer RPM reading against test tachometer.
If vehicle tachometer reading is outside of allowable range, replace tachometer
Tuesday, November 16th, 2010 AT 12:00 PM