QUESTIONS ABOUT STRUTS

2001 Saturn SC1

staceyz1966gmailcom

September, 27, 2012 AT 2:33 AM

I have a 2001 Saturn SC1 with 100,000. I need to change the front and back struts. Are there other years besides 2001 that will work for my car? Is this a part I can get at a wrecking yard or do you suggest I buy it new? Do you recommend a certain brand over another? I am not going to lie. Money is tight and if I can save a little - I really need to go that route. Thanks.

saturntech9

September, 27, 2012 AT 2:39 AM

Why are you replacing them I have replaced very few for other reasons other then car was in a wreck in my over 16yrs working at saturn dealers for that model saturn. My 1999 saturn. Has 2228,000 miles oringal struts still good.

staceyz1966gmailcom

September, 27, 2012 AT 2:53 AM

My car is handling quite poorly. It feels very loose when I am driving. It hits bumps very hard. And when you are on the outside of it and push down in the front and the back it jiggles like jello. It has no resistance whatsoever.

saturntech9

September, 27, 2012 AT 4:12 AM

Are they leaking oil?If you bounce each strut like 4 times in a row and then stop bouncing them does the car keep rocking like a boat in rough seas?Also have you checked the tires for them being over inflated?That will cause the car to ride like I has bad struts.

saturntech9

September, 27, 2012 AT 3:19 PM

Set the front tires at 30psi and the rear tires at 26psi see how it rides then.

Replacing Your Front Struts Like a Pro
Safely Replace Your Rear Struts
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Replace Tie Rod End