SMOKE SMELL THROUGH VENTS AT IDLE

2001 Saturn L300

brian3188

January, 16, 2011 AT 2:31 AM

I have a 2001 Saturn L300 (V6) with over 150k miles. Recently started getting a "smoke" smell through my vents. Only happens at idle, while brakes are applied, any suggestions?

saturntech9

January, 16, 2011 AT 2:47 AM

Your going to have to take a look under the hood and see if any fluid's are leaking onto the hot exhaust and burning off that.

brian3188

January, 16, 2011 AT 3:00 AM

Just had my heater core replaced, it was leaking coolant. Any chance that could be it? I'll check tomorrow for any possible fluids leaking onto the hot exhaust. Thanks so much.

saturntech9

January, 16, 2011 AT 7:10 AM

Usually when the coolant smell is coming off the heater core it's a sweet smell. Also see if you ran over a plastic bag and burning off the exhaust.

brian3188

Thanks for all your help thus far. After looking under the hood I can see that fluid is leaking from my heater hose connection straight down onto a pipe which is then steaming. I'm assuming that that might be the hot exhaust or if it isn't, then it's just a hot pipe that is still burning the fluid on contact and causing the smoke. GM says that my heater hose is good but the o-rings are bad. They're saying $300 to replace it, a local mechanic that I've gone to before says that he'll replace the hose for around $80. My question is, since I can see the heater hose connection, and I see that that is where the leak is, can I do it myself? Should I get the local shop to simply replace the hose? And what in the world is GM talking about?

saturntech9

Are you talking about one of the hose's in the diagram I posted leaking On the plastic end that snap's onto the tube's coming from the firewall from the heater core?

brian3188

January, 20, 2011 AT 12:29 AM

Yes.

saturntech9

Gm must be talking about the seal in the end of the hose that seal's againist the heater core pipe. If you want to change the hose yourself then there is no reason why you can't. It's not that hard to replace the hose.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic