ENGINE OVERHEATING

2001 Mazda MPV

hidme

August, 21, 2012 AT 7:55 PM

The dial board meter show close to H when drive 10-15 minutes with AC on. The coolant was boiled and escaped from reservoir. Haven't found leaking. Hear the fan running.
Can expert give idea how to diagnose and fix?

thanks

August, 21, 2012 AT 8:32 PM

Could be a thermostat or it could be a head gasket, have a shop do a leak down test to confirm.

hidme

August, 28, 2012 AT 1:23 PM

Thank you!
I took off the thermostat and tested it OK. But coolant is all gone. I put it back and fill up coolant and let engine run, saw leaking from top of radiator. I could not tell it is radiator or hose. Should I open grid and bumper?

August, 28, 2012 AT 5:57 PM

You need to determine where the leak is coming from and anything that is obstructing should be removed.

It most probably would be the top tank of the radiator that is leaking. After repair, you need to monitor and check for leaks. Top tanks usually breaks over time when there is insufficient coolant in system.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer