WHEN I TURN KEY TO ON POSITION THE CAR TRIES TO ...

2001 Mazda 626

cechowskie@yahoo.com

December, 9, 2012 AT 5:13 PM

When I turn key to on position the car tries to start. I don't even have to turn the key all the way just turn it to the on position to car tries to start sometimes it'll start sometimes it won't when it doesn't start it starts to get some starts getting hot I smell electrical fire and I see smoke coming from underneath the hood in from the dash area is there something I'm unsure I'm thinking possibly mission switch but mission switch to very expensive and don't want to exchange if it's not the problem the battery seems good to starter seems good for remote start car starts just fine

saturntech9

December, 9, 2012 AT 5:21 PM

Do you have a multi meter or test light to do some testing?

cechowskie@yahoo.com

December, 9, 2012 AT 5:27 PM

Yes I do where should I start

saturntech9

December, 9, 2012 AT 5:55 PM

Expose the igition switch wires and while its trying to start in the run position see if the green wire from the ignition switch has battery voltage?

saturntech9

December, 9, 2012 AT 5:57 PM

As you can see from the wire diagram I posted if the green wire has power to it in the run positon you have a shorted out ignition switch.

cechowskie@yahoo.com

December, 9, 2012 AT 6:27 PM

Okay green wire has power in on position

cechowskie@yahoo.com

December, 9, 2012 AT 6:54 PM

So this mean change ignition switch

saturntech9

December, 9, 2012 AT 10:30 PM

From what I see you have a bad ignition switch because the green wire should only have power in the start position. Also the green wire gets power thru the switch so looks like the run position is shorted to the start position. Have you checked www. Rockauto. Com?You might be able to save some money getting it there.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe