I have zero compression in all 4 cylinders

SPARKY106
  • 2001 KIA RIO
The engine cranks but sounds different then it did when it was able to start. The timing belt looks intact, it appears the timing marks are close enough on mark to at least get the engine to burrp. When cranking motor with spark plugs removed, I can see each cylinder appear to move up and down independently. I do have spark at each cylinder but no compression. What do you think? Also no engine codes stored.
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 12:16 AM

SATURNTECH9
If you have no compression thats why it wont start. So were you driving and the engine died and now it will only crank and not start?
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 12:26 AM
SPARKY106
Actually I was coming home, parked in the driveway and when I went to start it the very next time, the sound off the motor was definately different then when it was able to start previously. The engine was about 2 1/2 quarts low on oil and the oil that was in there smelled really foul, old and burnt. There was a time or two within the past year that the cars temp gauge redlined because the cooling fan quit working. The motor was shut off imediately at those times and after replacing the fan the motor seemed to work fine up until now. I can see the pistons move up and down thru the spark plug holes when the motor is cranked, the timing belt looks fine and the timing marks are real close. I just dont have any compression in any cylinder. Where do I start?
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 12:44 AM
SATURNTECH9
I would first find out why the timing marks are close and dead on thats were I would start. If the timing marks are not on that means the belt jumped. Probably a failing timing belt tenisor.
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 1:03 AM
SPARKY106
I guess what I meant to say is the car was still in time while checking with a timing light, the belt looked good and appears to be doing what its suppose to do. What other component failures would lead to zero compression but the engine still cranks and the pistons are moving up and down while cranking it. Do I just start taking apart the cylinder head. Im hoping there are some other types of testing to determine if its valves, hydraulic lifters, piston rings, ect before I start taking stuff apart thats not necessary. I really do appreciate your time and thank you for your help.
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 1:13 AM
SATURNTECH9
You cant use a timing light to see if the timing marks are aligned correctly on the timing belt. The first thing you need to do before you do anything is check those timing marks on the timing belt. Let me know what you find.
Monday, March 19th, 2012 AT 1:39 AM