ENGIN LIGHT

2001 Honda Odyssey

tommycho5740@gmail.com

I have honda odyssey 2001. However, The engin light on, so I went to the auto repair shop and they told me I need the catalytic converter, but when I took my car to emisson test, I passed it, so I believe, I don't need the catalytic converter for my car, but I am not tech, so please give me any information I may check with it.

F4I_guy

January, 14, 2011 AT 4:22 AM

I assume you have p0420. If your catalytic converter and oxygen sensors are original, they all should be replaced to have an efficient emissions system.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 14, 2011 AT 4:41 AM

F4I_guy is correct. However, keep in mind that even though the code indicates a bad converter, often times this code is caused by a bad O2 sensor. If you have a scanner, watch the output from the downstream O2 sensor. It should vary between.35V and.55V. If it goes beyond that in either direction, the O2 sensor is the issue.

tommycho5740@gmail.com

Thank you so much all.
If I repair then what is repair cost? May I ask?

Thank you again.

Jacobandnickolas

An O2 sensor is around 75 dollars plus labor (if that is the problem) An aftermarket converter shouldn't be much more than 150.00 + labor. Because there are a few O2 sensors, and the cost of the converter, that is why I recommend checking the sensors so you can save the money on a converter if it isn't bad.

tommycho5740@gmail.com

Understood and I will make sure of it.
Thank you so much all the help to all.

Jacobandnickolas

Glad to help.