I want to lower my car

I want to lower my car. I don't know what to do or even how much it would cost. Do I buy whole new shocks plus the lowering springs or do I just use lowering springs or what do I do? And how much would something like that usually run?
Tuesday, December 11th, 2012 AT 6:53 AM

1 Reply

VERY bad idea. As a former suspension and alignment expert, I spent a lot of time diagnosing the cause of cars riding just slightly below the published minimum height. That had to be corrected before even considering trying to align the car. You have a car brand that is already well-known for having poor suspension designs and plenty of parts that commonly break leading to loss of control and crashes. Couple that with any alterations or modifications and shrewd lawyers and insurance investigators love to find things like that. They will convince a jury that you were partly to blame for the crash when the other guy ran the red light. They will argue that you were less able to avoid the crash because of those modifications, ... And they will be right.

I have a number of Chrysler muscle cars from the '70s that have easily adjustable front ride height, and even with those, I make darn sure they're exactly where they were intended to be. Since I understand "scrub radius", "steering axis inclination", and "toe out on turns", and how they work together to affect braking, handling, and steering response, I would never consider changing them from factory specs, and you won't find any other professional who will risk his reputation trying to help you do that.

Lowered cars and raised trucks look stupid, but beyond that, there is no way you are going to improve on the braking, handling, and ride quality that Ford designed in. If they could have improved on any of those things, you can be sure they would have because that translates into more car sales.
Was this
Tuesday, December 11th, 2012 AT 7:20 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides