2001 Ford Focus Crank shaft sensor

BABYBOO285
  • 2001 FORD FOCUS
I have a ford focus zetec 2001, it's just had MOT done and they had to replace the crank shaft sensor, I was told that because it had been replaced it would probably only last a week but could last longer, I just wondered if anyone else had had this problem as I'm scared to use the car now,
Sunday, November 2nd, 2014 AT 11:46 AM

Why was the crankshaft position sensor replaced? The engine won't start or run if it is defective.

" I was told that because it had been replaced it would probably only last a week but could last longer"

This doesn't make sense. Who would perform a repair that will only last a week? What logic leads to expecting a part to fail because it was replaced? We replace sensors and other parts all day long on dozens of cars. How many of them do you see sitting on the side of the road because their week is up?

Unless you can add something that suggests something is going to fail, a car you're afraid to drive is hardly a car worth owning. My SUSPICION is you're worried about something that doesn't warrant being worried.
Sunday, November 2nd, 2014 AT 10:36 PM
BABYBOO285
Hi, thank you for your reply, I do not know much about cars but the mechanic explained that the clutch moves closer to the sensor each time it is pressed, and the sensor had melted and because this had happened, the sensor needed replacing and it may go again, he said he fitted one on a car exactly the same a few weeks ago which lasted ten days, the reason it was replaced was because the car wouldn't start when it went for the MOT,
Thanks again.
Sunday, November 2nd, 2014 AT 11:27 PM
Dandy. That makes sense for replacing the sensor, but I haven't heard of repeat failures, especially not caused by the clutch. Often aftermarket replacement parts are improved to prevent whatever caused the original part to fail, but sometimes those parts have a design flaw that causes early failure. Your mechanic may be jittery or nervous because he ran into one failure of a new part, but in reality, that happens to us all the time, even with new parts from the manufacturer.
Sunday, November 2nd, 2014 AT 11:40 PM
BABYBOO285
Thank you, I was all ready to go and buy another car, hopefully it will be ok then.
Monday, November 3rd, 2014 AT 12:09 AM