Where is the crankshaft position sensor located

GREGORGODLER
  • 2006 FORD FOCUS

Hello, on my car I have obd code P0336 (Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance). Is this sensor located inside engine or somewhere outside?

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 5:35 PM

KHLOW2008

External. Refer to diagram. Check for loose or contaminated wireharness connectors first.

+1
Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 5:49 PM
DOCFIXIT

What engine and model? Sure code is correct?

+1
Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 5:50 PM
GREGORGODLER

Hello, thank you for a very quick response. Here are more details about my Focus and problems. I have Ford Focus II, engine 2.0 TDCi. When I was driving car, it shaked twice like the ESP went on and then I got on display two errors. First was System Engine Fault and the second was ESP System Fault. Engine turned off by it self. I turned the car key to the off position and then back to turn on. The car started with no problem. I managed to get home. At home I connected to OBD controller and check for errors with my android phone. I've got this errors:
-U2023 - Network
-U2196 - Network
-P0336 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Range/Performance

Car is now running normally, well in my garage :)

So is there really "dead" sensor or is it something else?

+1
Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 6:07 PM
KHLOW2008

An intermittent problem which could mean a loose connection somewhere and is not going to be easy to diagnose for the U-codes. Try clearing the codes and see if they reappear.

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 6:11 PM
GREGORGODLER

OK, I will try that and report.

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 6:25 PM

Mod doesn't show a p0336. That was probably what docfixit was asking? Info on the u-codes says to fix all other codes first.

+1
Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 6:55 PM
JAVIGH

Hello.
Any news on this? I have a Ford focus 2.0 TDCi '09 and I have the exact same codes: U2023, U2196, P0336. Coincidence? Maybe not!
The symptoms of my car is that it stops. It doesn't matter if you're going 70 mph, or idling in a traffic light. The engine just quits. It's a matter of removing the key, and try to start it again. And it goes like nothing happened. I've tried to clear the codes and when it happens, it returns the same three codes. It usually happens like once every 400-500 km (250-300 miles). Today for example it didn't want to start. I had to crank it three times (this problem is the first time that has happened) and after the first two, the ESP light stayed on, like saying there was some kind of problem with it. Other times, it said "Transmissions malfunction" on the dash board (it's a powershift). So I'm thinking there should be some kind of common problem that affects the crankshaft sensor and whatever it's creating the other two codes. But I have no idea. In the service they want to change the crankshaft sensor but I don't think that's the problem. You know how the official services are.

Do you have any clues? I guess should look for wiring problems or something first.

Thank you!

Regards.

Thursday, July 13th, 2017 AT 3:17 PM
2CARPROS KEN

The U codes are communication between the computers, you must have one that is going bad which is common on these cars. When you turn the key off and then back on it resets (reboots) the computer.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, July 14th, 2017 AT 11:48 AM