Car idyling rough and high

IHVFRKLES
  • 2001 FORD FOCUS
My car is idyling rough and a kind of clunking sound, it is louder when put in neutral
Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 3:11 PM

Engine running rough or misfiring can be cause by the following:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-misfires-or-runs-rough

1.Defective spark plugs
2.Inadequate spark/coil,defective spark plug wire.
3.Lack of compression
4.False air leakage.
5.Faulty fuel injectors.
6.Insufficient fuel pressure.
7.Contaminated fuel.
8.EGR valve that is leaking.
9.Oxygen sensors.
10.Throttle position sensor.
11.Manifold absolute pressure sensor
12.Mass Airflow Sensor
13.Idle air control valve

Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it-
Monday, March 14th, 2011 AT 4:08 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Rasmataz is correct. However, the clunking sound worries me. This tells me that there are at least two problems. The first one is causing the rough idle(usually a vacuum leak, but now it can be almost anything). The second problem is causing the clunking. Without hearing it, but hearing you say it gets louder when you shift into neutral tells me it could be a bad rod bearing, push rod(could also cause rough idle) or flat cam lobe(also could cause rough idle).

Ruling out the vacuum leak is easy: Spray all vacuum connections and fittings with brake cleaner or carb and choke cleaner. The engine wills tumble badly when the leak source is sprayed. Also spray the interface between intake manifold and heads and carburetor (is so equipped). Unplug plug wires individually. The engine should smooth out a little if a bad cylinder is disconnected. Get the manual for your car and check to see what the voltage should be across the O2 sensor and tps sensor. Check the fuel pressure at the regulator. Check all of the spark plugs for carbon buildup or fouling.
Monday, March 14th, 2011 AT 4:37 AM