ZX2-2.0 ROUGH IDLING

2001 Ford Escort

einsele

July, 1, 2012 AT 1:50 PM

Car would idle rough and die at stop signs only when are is out of park, we have changed plugs, wires, air and fuel filters. It still runs rough when stoped but does not die now. I looked up car?'S and one said to clean the Idle air control valve. Where is this located? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

July, 1, 2012 AT 2:22 PM

Yes, it seems you do have an idle control problem and cleaning the IAC and throttle body should help. IAC is located on top left rear of engine.

Item # 12 in diagram.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM2Ji-U25lU

The link shuld be helpful.

July, 1, 2012 AT 2:22 PM

Vacuum leaks. Common for the pcv hose to leak down at the throttle body causing this type of condition.

Slider2732

November, 24, 2012 AT 9:12 PM

Extra to the other replies and if it's still troublesome.
We fixed that same problem on our 2001 Escort recently.

On top of the engine you'll see a tiny right angled piece of tubing, faces backward toward the rear. It is likely frayed or has a hole in it. It's the PCV hose mentioned above.
Has a wider part at one end than the other, but if you have some good strong flexible hose it'll work as a repair.
They had the exact bit in stock at our local autostore and I think it was around $12.
Fixed all idle problems completely. Just that little bit of hose !

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8