Heater is not working correctly?

MJCARTMILL
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Warm air blows on the passenger side, but cold air blows on the driver side. Also, the check guage light is on. Any thoughts?
Tuesday, December 28th, 2010 AT 8:49 PM

You have actuators that are run by vacuum. they may not be getting vacuum to operate properly. I can send a generic picture of actuators under the dash. I'll also send a vacuum diagram as to which is supposed to do what.

This guide can help us

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-heater-not-working

You may have a vacuum line off or leaking it gets vacuum from a tank then the intake manifold. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Monday, July 6th, 2020 AT 11:10 AM
ERNIE E TUGMAN
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
It seems I am only getting lukewarm heat the temperature is at 190 degrees, but when fan blowing full I still have lukewarm heat. I even put a peice of cardboard in front. I was wondering if maybe I should change the Antifreeze? This engine was put in 2011. Could the thermostat be stuck wide-open?. Thanks, Ernie
Friday, November 27th, 2020 AT 11:06 AM (Merged)
If temperature is 190 degrees and both heater hoses feel like it. Then it is probably the blend door actuator. Pull fuse inside truck for HVAC for sixty seconds with key on and it may reset. If not you will have to check to see if power is going to it.
-1
ERNIE E TUGMAN
I tried that it didn't work this morning it was 20 degrees outside and the temperature gauge in my truck got to 170, well may truck shows 130 - 210 - and 260 So by guessing my trucks running 170 today but never moves up or down today and the heat is well luck warm if that. Im not sure how a thermostat works but was wondering could it be stuck open. Thanks Ernie
It's more like a blend door problem I think, if it feels hot to touch it's probably hotter than 170
RAM15002001
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
The heater does not get hot, the fan works. What may be the problem and is it costly?
Friday, November 27th, 2020 AT 11:07 AM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT
Maybe as simple as replacing thermostat does engine temp come up to operating range? If yes then problem maybe with blend door and that could be costly
BRIAN33RAN
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
Heater problem
2001 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

with my heat or air blowing through my vents when I accelerate it switches to defrost until it kicks back out of passing gear why
Hi:
The direction the air goes is based on vent doors that allow air to flow in different directions. These doors are run on a vacuum which is directed through the switch you use to select the direction. When you push hard on the gas, the engine's manifold vacuum drops. If there is a vacuum leak in the HVAC system, you loose vacuum to the vent doors allowing the air to exit through the defroster vent.

You will need to remove the switch, check for a broken or damaged vacuum hose and check the switch itself for a problem.

TTRUDG
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
A few days ago my heater abruptly stopped working. It would only blow out cold air. I had the heater core replaced back in February, (2017) and thought maybe it had gone bad, but when I took it to the shop that replaced the core, they told me that I had a hole in the radiator and the water pump. I had them fix it, but I have a sneaky suspicion I have been taken. At no time have I seen my indicator go over 210 for heat and it has not overheated at all. The only thing I will admit is that it did seem to be going through a lot of anti-freeze. Every time I had my oil changed it would be remarked that the anti-freeze had to be filled all the way.
Friday, November 27th, 2020 AT 11:08 AM (Merged)
WRENCHER1
The fact that you have been adding coolant proves they were right about the leak. As the system starts to get low it for form air pockets in the heater which means no heat. If your heat does not come back after all the air is bled out, we can look into other possible issues.
WANNER54
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
When I have my heater turned all the way up it is only blowing cold air. It will not get even warm
JSWAIN
Could be something else, but if problem started suddenly, the thermostat is probably stuck.
WANNER54
It did happen suddenly. We used the heater earlier in the week and then from Thrursday through Sat only the AC and then Sunday morning is when we turned the heater back on and it was blowing only cold air.
When we went out and tested it last night its like it is only letting the air conditioner blow cause the compressor was dripping water after we shut it off. Could the switch be faulty or wold the thermostat being stuck cause this?
JSWAIN
Thermostat would not cause condensation on compressor. Could possibly be in the switch. Does engine temp gauge read normal? If so, probably not the thermostat. May have to let one of the staff guys answer.
-1
AMCKEY
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
2000 dodge ram heater blows out cold air only replaced water pump recently
Make sure the coolant is full. Make sure there are no air blocks in the cooling system. Make sure the engine is running at a normal operating temp. With the engine running, hot, and the heater on high, feel both heater core hoses. Both should be hot. If they are, check the blend door. If only one is hot, flush the heater core.
MIKEGR0
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
I have a heating problem with my truck I have replaced the thermostat with OEM 192 degree and removed all the air from the system and my truck runs and low temp in between just inder half way to the 210 degree mark while driveing at freeway speed. I have no antifreeze order coming from the heater core and no leakage in the system anywhere but when I turn the heater on high it blows cold air but whenthe at fan speed 3 it barely blows warm air what can I do to fix this? Been cold in MN
Friday, November 27th, 2020 AT 11:09 AM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT
Feel the heater hoses are they hot? If yes then blend door problem. An accuator is not closing off core for heat. How is heat at low speed? You could try the cardboard in front of rad.
MIKEGR0
Heat at low speed does esnd out hot air but the speed is so slow that is doesnt warm up the cab. I am unsure if the hoses are hot will have to check.

Sponsored links