Dodge Ram Condenser

LBROWN110
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
Where is the air conditioning condenser located in a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 8:47 PM

In front of the radiator.
+1
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 8:57 PM
LBROWN110
Is that behind the dashboard?
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 9:00 PM
That would be the evaporator. That's the part that gets cold and air blows through it. What's the problem or symptom?
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 9:11 PM
LBROWN110
My max a/c doesnt work. When I turn it on max it gets louder but it doesnt blow harder. I live in 100 degree heat so my regular a/c just does not cut it for me.
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 9:16 PM
WRENCHTECH
Why don't you check and see if the cold air is coming out of the defrost instead?
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 9:33 PM
Yup. That's not a problem with the condenser or evaporator. That has to do with the computer-controlled mode doors. Max. AC recirculates inside air for a rapid initial cool down. After a few minutes of that the regular AC should be sufficient. That brings in fresh outside air.
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 9:39 PM
LBROWN110
Yeah but even when its on regualar AC its not as cold as it usually is. I thought maybe there was an air filter that need to be changed but a friend who used to have a similar truck said it is probably the condenser.
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 9:58 PM
Ah, the "friend" thing. If that diagnosis worked we wouldn't need mechanics. It's more likely the system is low on charge which is typical after 10 years. Look on the passenger inner fender for the receiver / drier. Two steel lines will be bolted to it. One comes from the condenser and one goes to the firewall. On top of it will be a tiny glass window, about 1/4" in diameter. Watch for air bubbles flowing through that window while the engine is running and the AC is on. If you see bubbles, the system is low on refrigerant.

Fords have sight glasses too but don't rely on them. They will still have bubbles when the system is fully charged.
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 10:02 PM
WRENCHTECH
No Doc, no sight glass in accumulators, only driers. Just feel the temp of pipes at the top of the accumulator. The pipes will be very cold if it's working properly. I agree that the condenser is not likely at all unless something from the road came up and poked a hole in it.
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 10:30 PM
I never mentioned accumulators. Chryslers don't use them. That's common on GMs. They don't use sight glasses but accumulators can handle more accidental overcharge than other cars. "Receiver / drier" is what Chrysler calls the drier. Other manufacturers might call it something else.
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 12:54 AM
WRENCHTECH
This one doesn't. This is a CCOT system with an accumulator and an orifice tube. Dryers are used with expansion valves but this truck doesn't have that system.
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 1:00 AM
Thanks Wrenchtech. I've been to the schools on this system many years ago but everything I ever worked on had the sight glass. That made diagnosis of low charge so easy so of course they had to stop using it. I can add that to my reasons for liking the older stuff.
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 2:31 AM
WRENCHTECH
It's not really a age thing. They still use expansion valve systems on Caravans but not on Ram Pick ups or vans. I don't know what the reasoning is.
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 9:49 AM