, ENGINE PROBLEMS. BLOWN HEAD GASKET?

2001 Dodge Intrepid

Michaelw420

December, 26, 2011 AT 10:16 PM

Hello, I currently have a 2001 Dodge intreped SE. I just bought the car a month ago from a used dealership. It was very nice inside and out. The engine looked clean but the check engine light was left on. The man I bought it from was really cool, very nice and cut me a huge slack with the down payment. I trusted him when he said the light was just a whacked up sensor. Well a month later my car wont start, lots and lots of white smoke, and there is coolant all over my oil dipstick. My dad said its a blown head gasket or worse. It starts and goes but very poorly. I decided not to mess with it for the time being. What would you recommend? What would most likely be my issue? How much would the repair be? Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

saturntech9

December, 26, 2011 AT 10:25 PM

Sounds like a blown head gasket or worse. So the low coolant light was on when you bought the car and you never checked to see if the coolant was low?

Michaelw420

December, 26, 2011 AT 10:29 PM

I refilled the coolant just a week before. It was low, then I filled it. Now its bone dry.

saturntech9

December, 26, 2011 AT 10:50 PM

If you have coolant in the oil and blowing white smoke you will have to have the engine torn down to see where the coolant is entering the oil and combustion chamber. Hopefully you still have warranty on that car.

Michaelw420

December, 26, 2011 AT 10:56 PM

Unfortunately not. Is there any chance it's just a coincidence? Or did the guy know he was probably selling me a lemon?

saturntech9

December, 26, 2011 AT 11:06 PM

Its hard to say there are car dealers out there that will sell cars with known problems. There are also ones that are pretty honest with what there selling. Its hard to say without a lot more details. If if the low coolant light was on when you bought that was a bad sign and I would have had them look at that when ou bought it. You could go talk to them about it and see what they say its worth a try.I would talk to the sales man that sold you the car and that you mention the light to.

Michaelw420

December, 26, 2011 AT 11:12 PM

About how much would you expect the cost to be to replace the head gasket if thats all it is?

cadieman

December, 26, 2011 AT 11:39 PM

Youll need to get the labor hours for doing a headgasket job. Then youll need 2 rebuilt heads and the gasket set. Odds are those heads were cracked before u got it. Unless you blew the gaskets and heads by overheating the engine.

saturntech9

December, 26, 2011 AT 11:53 PM

Give me your zip code and I will get you a estimate.

Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500