MY Q IS POST REBUILD AFTER OVERHEATING WHY DOES IT NOT IDLE BUT WISE SOUNDS GOOD

• russelgs
  • 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

My neighbor put a new radiator in my wifes pt cruiser. His background sounded like my cousin vinnies girl. I guess he didn't realize the thermostat will not let enough water in. The car blew!My partner at work is an aircraft and auto mechanic. We took the head off had a valve job done. It runs but smokes like cheech and chong which he said would burn off. But won't idle. Could it be the fuel injector sensor is boogered up?

Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 9:35 PM

• rasmataz

What type of smoke do you have?

Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 9:39 PM
  • russelgs

White smoke

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 12:25 PM
  • rasmataz

Are you overheating?

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 12:34 PM
  • russelgs

It did overheat hence the rebuild but is not now

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 1:00 PM
  • russelgs

I took the head to a head shop and he replaced the valves head wasn't cracked or warped. We put it back torquing 25 50 50 plus quarter turn from the inside to the outside. If when it overheated and water mixed with oil in the catalytic converter. Would it blow white smoke and stink till it clears out? Could that affect the idle? My friend is bringing his compression, vacuum and computer reader tomorrow any ideas would help new oil and filter flushed the radiator small puddle of oily water mix under the tailpipe.

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 8:25 PM
  • rasmataz

Best check if the exhaust system is clogged-possible there's still coolant in it burning off and partially clogged the Cat-Do a vacuum or pressure test

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 9:42 PM
  • russelgs

Thank you sooo much I'll let you know what we find out my dad always said a teacher never ceases to learn

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 10:35 PM
  • rasmataz

That's totally true-we learn everyday as we move on in life

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 10:48 PM
  • russelgs

I found oil in the coolant reserve tank this morning. After running awhile we found water in the oil. We went to the headshop and he said he pressure tested the head and it isn't warped. If the block isn't warped he said blow air through the oil pressure hole in the block and listen for bubbles in the water holes. Cracked block is not good

Wednesday, July 18th, 2012 AT 4:29 PM
  • russelgs

The block doesn't seem to be warped. My friend took a straight edge and thin piece of paper. We'll blow it out on fri. Any other ideas?

Wednesday, July 18th, 2012 AT 11:11 PM