ODOMETER READING 1/4 OF MILAGE I DRIVE, SPEEDOMETER WORKS FINE

• Freshman6969
  • 2001 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER

2001 Chrysler pt cruiser, odometer registering 1/4 of milage I actully drive, drained power from whole system to reset the computer. Nothing, replaced PCM, nothing. All gauges during the self test check out fine, also the speedometer is working fine, odometer and trip is the problem

Friday, June 22nd, 2012 AT 3:24 AM

• DrCranknWrench

If the tires are the stock size, I would look at the vehicle speed sensor as a probable source for the issue.

Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 AT 5:30 AM
  • Freshman6969

Replaced speed sensor today, still the same thing, are there other speed sensors? The one I replaced was under the battery tray and air box, im running out of ideas here

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 9:05 PM
  • DrCranknWrench

Was the speed sensor attached to the transmission?
I have never seen one that is not.
You of course always have the psosibility that the speedometer is broken. You should get one from s a salvage yard. If you need help locating one, the search eninge on this site will help to find one near you. Just look at the ads that come up on the page.

Thursday, July 12th, 2012 AT 7:59 PM
  • Freshman6969

Yes it was, I know my speedo works because I went through a speed trap located down the road from me a few times carefully noting the speed I was going and what the speed trap said, all is good there, next week im going to see if the VSS wire is grounding out somewhere, it just boggles my mind that its ONLY the odometer not working, again I appreciate the answers

Friday, July 13th, 2012 AT 5:46 AM
  • DrCranknWrench

There are 2 wriing diram and achjart location of each ground. Gave you the side of the engine and transmission with the VSS on it. I also sent the sensors location.

Friday, July 13th, 2012 AT 6:10 PM