2001 Chevrolet Venture Cooling Fans/system problem

AFEDDY05
  • 2001 CHEVROLET VENTURE
I have a 2001 chevy venture that is running hot. When sitting in traffic the dash temp gauge will creep toward 5/8 to 3/4 toward hot. I don't think my cooling fans are working properly. I have tested the motor directly from the battery and the motors are good. I have also tested all three "cool fan" relays, replacing with new ones and still didn't seem to work.

To force the fans to come on in my testing, I was turning the a/c on full blast with a cold engine. Neither cooling fan was turning when I did this. It is closer to 70 degrees here today and I can confirm that the a/c is not working.

Please help.I'm not really sure where to go from here.
Saturday, March 8th, 2014 AT 10:57 AM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Ok, you check and replaced the relays what about checking the Fuses? Diagram for Under Hood Fuse Block attached.
+1
Saturday, March 8th, 2014 AT 11:20 AM
AFEDDY05
I did check the fuses, 1 and 6 and both of those were good.
+1
Saturday, March 8th, 2014 AT 11:34 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, one question I didn't ask and I usually do in these situations.

Is the Engine Light On? If it is get the codes read, most auto parts stores will do it for free. Another cause could be the Coolant Temp Sensor.
-1
Saturday, March 8th, 2014 AT 4:26 PM
AFEDDY05
I let the van run tonight, watching the temp gauge and the cooling fans actually came on. It had to get about 3/4 on gauge before it came on, but they appeared to be working

I have another issue though. My a/c doesn't appear to be working. I don't think these issues could be related, but possible. What steps should I check to troubleshoot the a/c?
Saturday, March 8th, 2014 AT 4:47 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
The first things should be obvious as you did with the fans, check fuses and relay.

Low Pressure Switch - Usually mounted on the Accumulator you can just jump the terminals.

Also does the Compressor kick in and out every 5 - 10 second or so? If does the possible have a leak in system or just low and needs charged.
-1
Saturday, March 8th, 2014 AT 5:09 PM
AFEDDY05
I didn't hear the compressor running at all.
+1
Saturday, March 8th, 2014 AT 5:27 PM
AFEDDY05
Which is the low pressure switch in the attached photo? Is it the one with the white connection or the one with the dark blue, that is sorta left of center? I wasn't sure which one to direct connect to, to test the compressor.

Thanks!
-1
Sunday, March 9th, 2014 AT 10:02 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
I am not sure, I think it is the white. I can't tell by the pic but are the in the same line? If not then it the one in the Low Side Line. I cannot find a diagram for location all I can find is that it's on Left Side Of Engine Compartment, Below Accumulator
Sunday, March 9th, 2014 AT 6:53 PM
AFEDDY05
That white switch is actually right below where the low side line goes to the compressor.

I decided to test the refrigerant levels to see if maybe they were low and not causing the compressor to turn on. They were low, but once it was filled the compressor still didn't turn on.

I am probably taking the van in to get serviced.
Monday, March 10th, 2014 AT 5:14 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Well as long as you have check to make sure that there was power at least to the A/C Clutch, then It is possible since seems everything checks out that the A/C Clutch has just gone bad.
Monday, March 10th, 2014 AT 6:02 AM