2001 Chevrolet Z71

KELLIE_AR
  • 2001 CHEVROLET TRUCK

My husband has a 2001 Chevrolet Z71. It is running hot when idling for a while and he is hearing a noise coming from the motor. It's not a knocking noise. He recently had oil changed and had them put the kind of oil used in new vehicles. He wonders if he should have had them put the other kind in because he wasn't having problems with truck prior to oil change.

Sunday, July 24th, 2011 AT 2:32 PM

AUSERNAME123456

What does the oil pressure gauge show while idling?

Sunday, July 24th, 2011 AT 4:58 PM
KELLIE_AR

Oil pressure gauge shows normal.

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 4:29 AM
AUSERNAME123456

Can you describe the noise you hear arround the front of the engine? Also look for leaks around the water pump.

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 11:25 AM
MHPAUTOS

This may be localized boiling in the block, if the thermostat has failed you can get these hot spots and banging check the cooling system first if the oil pressure is normal.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 11:53 AM
KELLIE_AR

My mistake. The noise is consistent. It's not just when it's running warm. Oil pressure when idling is about 35 or 38 but when going down the road it's about 45 or 50. I really appreciate you responding because this has my husband concerned. He recently bought the truck and it was a one owner before him. If this could end up being something major we'd like to know so we can get it fixed. He uses the truck on daily basis for his work.

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 10:04 PM
FIXITMR

Did you find problem/noise?

Thursday, October 20th, 2011 AT 12:57 PM