BRAKE LIGHT ON AFTER REPLACING BRAKE PADS

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

tomshanty

August, 14, 2012 AT 2:49 AM

I recently replaced my front brake pads. The brake light turned off after I changed the pads. But it occasionally it turns on after applying, but not always. Would air in my brakes cause the brake light to turn on? Sometimes I hear a squeal like no fluid is getting to the brake, but then it goes away. I plan to check it out this weekend. Any input or ideas? Thanks!

August, 14, 2012 AT 2:50 AM

Check brake fluid in the master cylinder first. It may be low causing the light to come on.

August, 16, 2012 AT 2:44 AM

EVER GO FISHING?

LET'S LOOK IN THE "POND" 1ST---JUST TO SEE IF THIS MIGHT BE THE ISSUE

FISH AROUND IN THE MASTER CYLINDER RESERVOIR FILL HOLE WITH A NAIL/ DOWEL/ YOUR FINGER. THE FLOAT IS WHAT I'M REFERRING TO AS THE POSSIBLE PROBLEM THAT MAKES THE LIGHT COME ON

THE LITTLE FLOAT IS INSIDE THE BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR--THE SWITCH IT ACTIVATES THE LIGHT IS ON THE OUTSIDE---A MAGNET IN THE FLOAT MAKES IT TURN ON WHEN THE FLUID IS LOW. OR THE FLOAT IS STUCK IN THE "LOW FLUID" POSITION

USUALLY THE FLOAT IS CAPTURED OR GUIDED BY "RAILS" MOLDED INTO THE INSIDE OF THE RESERVOIR. THIS KEEPS IT TRAVELING UP AND DOWN, NOT FLOATING AWAY. THESE RAILS MAY BE WHAT HAS IT "STUCK"----MAYBE FROM WEAR, OR A BURR IN THE FLOAT OR ON THE RAILS

IT MAY BE THAT THE FLOAT WITHIN MAYBE SORTA "C. OCKED", "WEDGED" OR BE "STUCK" IN THE DOWN POSITION OR CLOSE TO DOWN

. JUST A LITTLE TOUCH OR WIGGLE MAY FREE IT UP SO IT CAN FLOAT. ONCE UP, THE CIRCUIT IS OPEN AGAIN, THE LIGHT GOES OFF

THIS MAY NOT BE HOW YOURS WORKS, I FIGURED I'D THROW OUT THE POSSIBILITY. JUST IN CASE

THIS IS A "QUICK FIX"

LET ME KNOW IF THAT FIXED YOU

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement