Seat heater does not work?

STAYLOR69
  • 2001 CADILLAC DEVILLE
2001 Cadillac Deville the heated driver's seat does not work for the bottom or back. I checked the fuse and it is good. When I push the button to turn on heat or change setting I can hear clicking coming from underneath the seat. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

I checked passenger seat and it works fine, both bottom and back. I hear clicking coming from underneath the driver seat.

Great site!
Monday, December 12th, 2011 AT 2:49 AM

KEN

2001 was a common year for heating elements to go bad, in fact there was a service bulletin published for it. Since it comes on, and immediately shuts down, it is an indication that there is either too much current flow, or too much resistance to current flow. You would need to check resistance of each individual element. Not necessarily all are bad, it may just be one. If it is a base deville, it has one element in each cushion(bottom/back). If it is DHS/DTS it has four(back/bottom/thigh(x2)).

Here is a guide to check for power and to check the relays and see if power is coming out of the heater control module under the driver's seat.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

(Below is the wiring diagrams)

Here is the bulletin.

#01-08-50-001C: Front/Rear Heated Seat Inoperative/Cold (Install Seat Heat Element) - (Jul 1, 2011)

Subject:

Front/Rear Heated Seat Inoperative/Cold (Install Seat Heat Element)

Models:

2000 2003 Cadillac DeVille (All Models) with RPO KA1

This bulletin is being revised to update the model year information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number?01-08-50-001B (Section 08 Body and Accessories)

Condition

Some customers may comment that the front/rear seat assembly heat function is not operating properly. The front/rear seat back and seat cushion remain cold when either the HEAT/OFF switch or the BACK ONLY switch is activated.

Cause

This condition may be due to a non-functioning heat element in the front/rear heated seat back/cushion trim cover.

The heated seat system consists of four heated seats, two in the front and two in the rear. On the DHS and DTS models, each heated seat consists of four heat elements, one in the seat back and three in the seat cushion. On the DeVille model, each heated seat consists of two heat elements, one in the seat back and one in the seat cushion.

My money is on a bad seat control module FYI.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, December 4th, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
GENIUS888
  • 2002 CADILLAC DEVILLE
Interior problem
2002 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 101000 miles

My car which has heated seats stop working on the driver side. The passengers side works great. What could have happened. Ken
Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 AT 12:41 PM (Merged)
FACTORYJACK
Most often, one or the other element has gained resistance, and that shuts the module down. Repair is by first determining which element has high resistance, cushion or back, and replacing it. Some of these(DTS and DHS) had thigh elements that could be at fault as well. And it is not uncommon, that both elements could be faulty.