EXHAUST CAMSHAFT PROBLEMO

2000 Volvo S40

speeddemon155

November, 28, 2010 AT 12:04 AM

How do I line up the exhaust camshaft sproket to the camshaft? I removed the camshaft sproket while taking the valve cover off. There is no lineup pins on the camshaft. I just need to know how to line it up. It is a 2000 Volvo S40 1.9 Turbo.

Thanks!

Ernest Clark

November, 28, 2010 AT 12:14 AM

Look on the teeth of the cam sprocket for grooves in the center of the teeth. Then there should be markings on the timing cover. Line these up on both sprockets.

mhpautos

November, 28, 2010 AT 12:17 AM

The only way to do this is with a special tool see pic.

speeddemon155

November, 28, 2010 AT 12:46 AM

Thanks for the answers everyone. Mhpautos-after lining up the camshafts on the back do I then turn the exhaust sproket to line up with the front cover?

mhpautos

November, 29, 2010 AT 6:25 AM

Problem is I don't know the position of the engine when you dismantled it, you can't rotate the cams independently of the crank, if you do turn the cam, you must do very carefully as to much pressure on a valve touching a piston will cause serious damage, do you know the relevant cam, crank positions before dis assembly?

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars