IS THERE A REASON THAT A VW OIL CHANGE WOULD BE TWICE AS EXPENSIVE AS CARS?

2000 Volkswagen Jetta

rb_colvin

March, 18, 2012 AT 2:52 AM

My 22-year-old daughter owns a 2000 VW Jetta, with a gasoline-powered engine. She's had the oil changed a couple of times at a "quick-lube" type place where the oil change cost was in the $30-$40 range, but a couple of times she's been told the cost would be $80-90. Most recently, when she was told the cost would be $80 for a simple oil change, she asked why and was told it was the type of car. She said "no thanks" and left. So my question: is there some reason that an oil change on a Jetta would be so expensive?

DrCranknWrench

March, 18, 2012 AT 2:59 AM

That is hard to say. I don't see any manufacturer making the oil filter that hard to get to. The only thing I can think of is that it uses a cartridge type filter which would mean that the oil filter case gets re-used and the element is changed out. It takes a little more time to clean the housing, but it is still not that bad. It could possibly have synthetic oil in it, but I doubt that. I would ask them how much time it takes to do the job.
This is the same shop giving her different prices? Time to move on to a boetter place. If you can find a Mobil oil change center that is a really good place to go. You really should take their mainteneance advice to as $100 in maintenance saves $1000 in repairs.

Brent0nFire

March, 20, 2012 AT 1:18 PM

"I don't see any manufacturer making the oil filter that hard to get to"
you obviously dont know v dubs.
What kind of engine? 1.8t oil filter is a bi*ch to get at.
Yes all vw's use synthetic oil.

Brent0nFire

March, 20, 2012 AT 1:18 PM

you obviously dont know v dubs.
Yes all vw's use synthetic oil.

DrCranknWrench

March, 24, 2012 AT 5:47 PM

That is why I asked how many labor hours it takes to complete the job.
Certainly if they come OEM with synthetic, that must be concinuted and would justify the cost. Mobil 1 is about $7-8 a quart through a shop while other brands are more. An OEM filter must be used as well. That is something that would add to the cost.
If it is a turbo model synthetic oil is very important. You might wanbt to spend the extra money on getting AMSOIL or another of the Top Nothch synthetics. Mobil 1 will not steer you wrong, but AMSOIL is hard to beat when it has been in the "Ball bearing"wear test against competitor's.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Tundra
TPS Sensor Step by Step Replacement Guide
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze
Air Filter Replacement