2000 Volkswagen Beetle Aligning camshaft and crankshaft marks

OSCAR MOTHIBI
  • 2000 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE
I have installed a 2nd hand engine on the new Beetle after the first one was damaged. When I turn the crankshaft with the timing belt on to try to align the marks, the marks on both the crankshaft and the camshaft do not align at the same position. But I understand the crankshaft/camshaft should not be turned once the timing belt has been removed. What should I do to align the marks?
Tuesday, August 25th, 2015 AT 10:58 PM

MHPAUTOS
Did you replace the timing belt with out first aligning the timing marks?
+1
Wednesday, August 26th, 2015 AT 1:58 AM
OSCAR MOTHIBI
I bought it as second hand engine and the timing belt was fitted already. Only realised that the crankshaft and camshaft do not align in the same position after installing it. Thank you
Wednesday, August 26th, 2015 AT 6:02 AM
MHPAUTOS
Pull the spark plugs and very slowly turn engine by hand if it will do a full revaluation get the crank on TDC and check relevant valve position, if there is any resistance stop and do not turn.
Thursday, August 27th, 2015 AT 2:42 PM
OSCAR MOTHIBI
But is it possible to remove the timing belt, align the crankshaft and camshaft marks at the same position and re-use the timing belt from the 2nd hand engine? Because like I said the crankshaft and camshaft marks align at different positions. Thank you
Monday, August 31st, 2015 AT 4:06 AM
MHPAUTOS
These are an interference engine, if the valve timing is set wrong you will bend valves, are you looking at the timing mark on the cam and crank or alignment marks on the belt, pull the spark plugs and slowly turn the engine until you are at TDC where is the cam timing mark? You can't remove the belt and move crank or cam independently, if moving engine by hand fell for any resistance that may indicated valves touching, is the belt fitted tight? Was there any belt material under the timing cover that may indicate a damaged tooth on the belt?
Tuesday, September 1st, 2015 AT 5:24 AM